Part 5

Steve P.O.V.
    I carried her through a room full of beds with lots of patients, this particular ER was very crowded at this hour. They beckoned me to put Natasha on a bed, and they pulled a curtain around her secluding her from the other patients. The nurses quickly took blood sampled and started to ask me questions.
    "Name?" one asked.
    "Natalie, Natalie Rushman. She'll be okay, ri-" I answered a old cover she had.
    "Pre Existing conditions?" Another nurse asked.
    ""Ya, she has been sick for a while, I think she had some form of poison administered"
    A doctor quickly came and began to look at her, "ok, can I see her blood work?" A nurse quickly handed him the paperwork. He looked it over and gave many directions and all the nurses jumped into action, one hung an IV and another began to clean and stitch her leg. The doctor himself was working on the abdomen wound while still reviewing scans and making conclusions. I really wasn't listening to him, I had no idea what he was saying with his medical terminology. I was focused on her, another nurse was tending to her rib wound, and gently putting a sling over her shoulder.
    "Sir," the doctor addressed me and I turned to him, no idea if I could answer his next questions or bear to hear the news he might tell me.
    "Are you the father?" He asked.
    "No, I'm her boyfriend," I was taken aback by the question.
    "Do you know the father of the child?" He asked.
    "I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean," I finally snapped, raising my voice. I guess I was on edge with Natasha's life hanging in the balance.
    The doctor looked at the charts again, then the nurses, and then at me. "Have you had recent sexual activity with this women?" He asked, and suddenly I put the pieces together. Nat was pregnant.
    "Yes, oh my gosh, is she... is she pregnant?" I asked, baffled for words.
    "Yes, and the baby is doing well under these conditions, in fact, I'm surprised, most babies would be long dead in a mother this sick," he replied more to himself than to me. I was still shocked just from finding out that I was a father, I wondered if she knew. Then I thought about what the doctor said, this sick? Natasha is in danger, my mind started to race.
    "Will Natalie be ok?" I questioned.
    "I'm sure she'll be okay, we'll move her into a overnight room and monitor her closely. She really needs to eat something or she'll have to go on a feeding tube, but we will do everything we can to keep her alive and try to get her healthy," that is all the doctor said before he left onto the next patient. They moved us into a private room and I sat with Nat and held her hand.