Chapter 56

There wasn't an inch of Lexa's body that wasn't pulsing – not an inch of her body, not an inch of her soul. Everything just hummed, tingled and surged. Clarke was kissing her and it wasn't a dream. It was real - they were real and they were here and this was really happening. It felt different, but familiar all at the same time. It was powerful, passionate - insanely overwhelming and it was quickly pushing her passed a point of no return. Sighing and tilting her head as Clarke's lips brushed against her pulse point, her body seemed to beg for her to just get lost in it, but her mind suddenly battled for dominance causing her breath to catch in her chest.

"Wait," Lexa breathed as she pulled back, her eyes finding Clarke's.
"What is it?" Clarke asked with her brow slightly knitted and her cheeks fully flushed.
"I can't," Lexa answered softly as she shook her head, still trying to catch her breath.
"Can't?" Clarke's eyebrows raised as a curious and almost amused look filled her eyes.
"I mean," Lexa gasped, still feeling slightly overwhelmed by the feeling of Clarke's body pressed against her own. "I mean – I could, God, I could, but I don't want to."
Clarke promptly pulled back a little, her brow furrowing quickly.
"No, wait," Lexa increased her grip, pulling her back in. Fuck – she was screwing this up already. "I don't mean that I don't want to – because I do want to, I really want to," she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, Fuck – focus! "Just – not like this."
Clarke brow relaxed as a curious but almost – appreciative smile pulled at her lips and she settled back into the embrace, seemingly waiting for her to continue.
Lexa took a deep breath. Okay. "Look, it's no secret that we've always been able to easily fall into bed with one another," she attempted to explain, "and I'm not faulting a single time that we have – I never would, but I don't want this to be like that. I want to do this right – even though I'm not really sure how that is, but I...I just..." she broke off and shook her head, feeling her heart rate pick up.

The right words had to be there – they had to be and she needed to find them. A fear began to creep into her stomach, suddenly paralyzing her. She didn't want to say the wrong thing or give Clarke the wrong impression – she wanted her to understand, to know, but at the moment, her mind just wasn't working properly. She just couldn't think. It was as though the electricity that surged from their kiss had, quite literally, fried her poor brain.

"Take a breath," Clarke said soothingly as she brought her hand up, rubbing lightly at her jaw.
Lexa took another deep breath and let herself get lost in the calming feeling of Clarke's fingers on her skin. "I meant it when I said that I don't want to make any mistakes," she said after a moment, "and I can't say that rushing into having sex, wouldn't be a mistake," she explained, trying to keep it simple.
Clarke's eyes seemed to fill with adoration as she smiled warmly at her. "I understand," she said softly, giving her a slightly squeeze and breathing her in.
"You do?" Lexa tilted her head to look at her properly.
"Listen, I won't lie," Clarke smirked a little and shook her head slowly. "I would love nothing more than to take you to my bedroom and keep you there for," she drew in a sharp breath, "fuck, keep you there for days. However, like you, I can't say that it wouldn't be a mistake."
Lexa's entire body throbbed at her words and she battled to withhold the whine that tried to free itself from her throat.
"So," Clarke continued, grinning with clear satisfaction at the reaction that her words had caused. "I have an idea."
Lexa swallowed hard. An idea? "I'm listening," she said, keeping her voice a steady as possible.
Clarke ran her fingers across her collarbones. "How about you and I go back out into the living room, curl up under the blankets – together and watch another movie," she suggested. "No sex, but..." she paused bit her lip.
Lexa felt her eyes narrow in sheer curiosity. "But?" What was she up to?
"I get to kiss you as much as I want," Clarke smiled at her again.
Lexa couldn't even contain the smile that spread on her face. "Uh – yes,' she responded immediately. "Absolutely, yes."
Clarke leaned forward, gently bringing their lips together again.
Lexa's lips tingled as she reciprocated and then smiled again when they separated.
"God," Clarke sighed, pressing their foreheads together and closing her eyes. "You have no idea how much I have missed that."
Lexa inhaled deeply, trying to ground herself. "Actually, I do," she assured her quickly. "I really do."