chapter three - calming and chaotic

♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡

♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡

"Okay, so, there's supposed to be a private beach right here." Sage's blonde hair blew around her as she pointed in front of them. Veronica tilted her head in confusion, her face scrunching up.

"Sage, if I wasn't an absolute idiot, I would say that that, is a very tall hedge." A wall of leaves hovered high above them, the greenery reflecting off of it and onto the girls, tinting their faces and bodies. Sage looked back to her phone screen, pushing her locks out of her face.

Her hair looked as though she infused the strands with summer (despite it being spring break), allowing her to look like a goddess of the sun with her tan skin. Her face was intense, and Veronica noticed the unconscious pucker of her pink lips. Her lips looked smooth, soft even. And she really wanted to find out if they were. Ronnie was losing all control.

Their week of vacation had gone by in a blur— after they sorted everything out with their tickets and everything from the Washington D.C. trip was refunded, they had enough money left over to do a plenty of things in Spain. They visited churches, museums, markets, and other tourist attractions, but one thing remained the same— Veronica was still falling in love more and more everyday with her best friend.

For a week, they comforted each other, celebrated with each other, enjoyed each other, occasionally snapped at each other and forgave each other when they did. They suffered from jet lag and snuck into their hotel's pool when they both couldn't sleep. They held hands— sometimes— but nothing more. It was their last day in Barcelona and Veronica knew it was the time to talk and admit her feelings. She hoped that by some miracle that on their flight the next day, they would be flying back as girlfriends.

"There shouldn't be a hedge here. There's nothing on here about it! It's just... beach!" Sage was upset; she wanted to spend their last full day in Spain on a lovely private beach that a local had quietly told them about.

"Google Maps doesn't specify where there's hedges and where there aren't hedges." Veronica was not going to let this obstacle get in her way. As she curiously pushed her hand into the hedge, she closed her eyes. She tilted her head back in bliss as she inhaled the salt.

"Besides, I can smell the water," she said quietly. Veronica pushed her arm further in and while branches nicked at her skin, she didn't care. She would pay the price to be able to relax one last time. She grinned mischievously and offered her other hand to Sage, who gave her a skeptical look.

"Ronnie, this isn't a good idea." Sage gestured to Veronica's curly hair, which was already getting stuck on the branches around her.

"I know," she replied, continuing to lure her in. Sage could not help but trust the smile on her face. She gently put her hand into Ronnie's and allowed herself to be yanked through, letting out a squeak in the process. The hedge seemed to go on for ages, scratching their arms and legs as they continued forward. It was dark and their endeavor seemed as though they were trying to cut through an endless maze. But to Veronica, it felt perfect.