16

"Trey," Alexa murmurs. "Trey."

Trey hears her as he comes into the room. "I'm here, Alexa." Trey says hurrying to her side and placing his hand on her face. "I'm here."

Trey sees a tear and wipes it away frowning. He doesn't like to see her cry. Alexa is a warrior queen, a mafia queen and should never cry. "I'm sorry I wasn't here, earlier Alexa. I'm here now. You're safe, now. I have some of your people watching your room."

Alexa relaxes now that she knows that Trey is there and seems to fall into a deep sleep.

He looks at Blaze, "Has she awakened?"

Blaze shakes his head. "This is as close as she's come. She's been calling for you for the last five minutes before you came in. I think she thought you were dead."

Trey closes his eyes in pain, "I should have come back sooner. I got too caught up in my questioning."

Blaze looks at him in interest, "You questioned the traitor?"

Trey clenches his jaw in anger before replying, "Yes."

Blaze is smart enough to not say anything after that. Trey's anger is legendary and is well known even among other mafia's. That Alexa has contained that is beyond amazing to him.

Alexa has told Blaze that she hasn't contained it, the conditioning will one day fail and he'll come after her. He has been given specific instructions when that happens. Ones that he's not happy about following, but he will because Alexa has ordered him to. He'd do anything for her, even if he hates it.

Allowing her to die, well that's an order he never thought he'd be given. Then to accept her killer as his new boss. He's not sure how he will be able to do that one.

"I thought Alexa might want to take part in the questioning," Blaze is pulled away from his thoughts by Trey's words.

"That's a pretty good bet, Mr. Michaels. I'm sure that she will be more than willing to participate. She really liked Jeremy."

"Did Jeremy not make it?" Alexa's groggy voice breaks the silence of the room bringing the attention of both men to her.

But Alexa's eyes are on Trey, demanding without words an answer to her question.

Trey takes her hand in his as he tries to find the right words to tell her. He sighs, "He's not dead, but there's a better than fifty percent chance that he won't make it. The next twenty-four hours, well, if he makes them his chances increase, but he'll still be in danger. If he makes the following seventy-two hours after that he'll likely make it."

Alexa closes her eyes. She doesn't like losing any of her people. All those she trains are hers, even Trey, although she might give them freedom they will always be hers.

Her eyes pop open once more, "Who!"

The anger behind her words makes Trey and Blaze both swallow with nervousness. Blaze has seen what happens when she gets like that, but Trey hasn't. Even though he hasn't, he has a very good idea that it would be very bad to be the recipient of that hatred. "Ken-"

Before he can finish the name Alexa is trying to get out of bed and get up.

"No, Alexa, he's been dealt with remember? He's dead, I heard a policeman before we were brought in for medical care. Ken is dead, he just tried to kill me at the same time."

"Wrong, Trey, he tried to kill us. You found a traitor?" Alexa demands as Trey holds her down on the bed. He doesn't want her to further injure herself.

"Yes, and he's in my cells waiting for you to question him."

"Why?"

"I don't-" Trey is saying when Mickelle knocks before entering. He goes up to his boss and whispers in his ear.