Chapter 9

As Marinette ran back home, she threw her engagement ring on the floor in front of the bakery.

"He doesn't deserve me," she muttered to herself.

Of course, Tikki knew that Adrien was telling the truth.

"Marinette! You should think this through! Maybe he's telling the truth! Remember LIE-la?"

Marinette ran to her room and punched her wall, leaving a dent.

"No! Everything makes sense now! Why he never knew about the things that were happening to the wedding in the first place! Why he was never-"

She took a deep breath then said with a shaky voice, "Why he was never there for me."

Tikki sighed, and a gasp escaped her lips when she saw the black butterfly coming towards Marinette.

"Mari watch out!"

The akuma flew towards Marinette, and was sucked into her earrings.

"No!"

The girl's face was covered with a faint outline of a butterfly mask, and she struggled to keep it away.

The soft voice that Tikki could barely hear made her shiver.

"Hello young lady. I am Hawkmoth. I can give you the power to break people's heart with betrayal and hatred in exchange for Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculous. Do we have a deal?"

Marinette's features hardened and she struggled with her words.

"No!" cried Tikki. "Marinette take a deep breath! There's always a solution to your problems!"

Marinette did as she was instructed, said a few inaudible words, and the butterfly flew out, back to the pure white it was.

"T-Tikki..."

"It's ok. You're all good. Why don't you take a nap? It'll help."

The older girl shakily nodded her head and wrapped the blankets around her as tight as she could.

Marinette woke to the sound of a scream. Of course, her Ladybug instincts made her jump up and run down, without registering anything.

She skipped every two steps and slid down the railing, which resulted in her landing face first on the floor.

"Marinette! Are you ok?"

Marinette groaned and looked up to see her mom on one knee, looking worried.

"Fine mum. You know, clumsy me."

She heard the scream again and when she looked up, Tom was there screaming because her wedding cake was squashed. In a trash can.

"Papa! What happened?"

"Oh mon cherie..."

He pulled Marinette close and whispered the story.

"I let Luka come in to help with the wedding cake because he volunteered like the sweet boy he is, and he said he wanted another girl to help him too. I think her name was Kajami? No, Kamami! No wait-"

"Kagami." interrupted Marinette, voicing her fears.

"Yeah her. Luka left for a few minutes to go do an errand and when I turned to go wake you up so you can meet your friends, Kamami- I mean Kajami, called me and told me to look at the cake. It was ruined. I'm so sorry my angel."

He hugged Marinette tighter. Maybe he thought that if he hugged her tight enough, all the broken pieces would come back together and everything would be ok.

Marinette pulled away and checked the time. 7pm. She was asleep for 4 hours. There was enough time to go talk to Adrien...

.....or maybe she could talk to Chat.