Smoke

Lloyd's POV

Rumi and I immediately jerk away from each other, taking a step back. Can't I just have one uninterrupted moment with her? I ask myself. We looked around us, seeing a small crowd of fans forming a circle. Shoot.

Having been through the same situation countless times, I reach for Rumi's hand, pulling her with me as I run in the opposite direction of the fans.

As I looked behind me, I noticed there were still a few teens who decided to follow us. Two had their phones in their hands, taking pictures as they ran. Another was running with a notebook and pen, most likely wanting an autograph.

I looked back at Harumi, who was holding her hand on the side of her face, not wanting to be recognized as the Quiet One. I felt bad for her.

I darted around the corner of a small brick building, with Rumi following close behind. The fans didn't chase us and seemed to be gone, but not wanting to jinx it, I check before signaling Rumi.

"Did we lose them?" She asked. I nodded in reply.

"We'd better go around the back, just in case," I reminded her. I inched toward the other side of the building, carefully looking around the corner. Of course, a couple citizens had already gathered there too.

"Shoot," I whispered, turning back around to Rumi. I looked around, hoping to find a better way out of this situation.

"What about this?" Rumi pointed at a metal ladder, leading up to the rooftop. "Would it work?"

"Yeah," I grabbed the ladder and started climbing with Rumi following me. Once on the top, Rumi and I peek over the edges, just to make sure the fans are gone.

I decided it's safe enough, seeing that there were only a few people there still. I held my hands out, letting the familiar green light flow from my hands, forming my elemental dragon.

Harumi's POV

I watched Lloyd use his power to create his dragon, until he suddenly stopped. He was staring at something with a slightly confused look.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"...that..." Lloyd pointed in the direction he was staring in.

I looked over and gasped upon seeing an old, abandoned building just outside of the city, completely surrounded in thick, black smoke.

"Is it..on fire?" I asked, also confused now.

"No, the smoke is...black," Lloyd answered. "And it's not rising, it's just...sitting there."

"Then...what is it?"

"Nothing good," Lloyd pressed a button on his watch, making the screen light up a green color.

"Guys, there's an emergency, we– I'm gonna need backup," Lloyd spoke into his watch.

"Got it. Send us your location," Nya's voice on the other end replied. Lloyd pressed a second button, this time it made a short beeping noise.

"The other ninja are coming soon," Lloyd said, turning to face me. "It might be dangerous."

"Better safe than sorry," I responded, lightly laughing.

"Exactly," Lloyd chuckled. Seconds later, the two of us looked up, seeing five bright colored dragons flying in their direction.

I watched as they flew toward us, before seeing Lloyd run up next to me in his bright green ninja gi, instead of his previous outfit.

"Did you...?" I began.

"I kinda have to bring it with me," Lloyd shrugged. "I've gotten used to it by now."

The five other ninja flew right above Lloyd and I before hopping off their dragons, dropping down one by one onto the rooftop.

"So what's the problem?" Jay asks Lloyd.

"Over there," Lloyd pointed to the smoky building.

"That's...not good," Kai stated.

-

Word count: 609