Chapter 1

  WARNING: LANGUAGE AND MENTIONS OF VIOLENCE

         This year was supposed to be different – or at least that's what I wanted to believe. New state, new town, entirely new life. I was more than ready for it. Ever since I moved from Florida to California, I had somehow felt free from the person who haunted me my entire life. LA wasn't a quiet town, but somehow being lost in all the hustle and bustle of it was the quietest my mind had ever been.

It wasn't all loneliness and sadness. I had made friends with two girls – one my coworker, the other my neighbor. Sometimes we all got together, drank a few glasses of wine and pretended our lives were vastly different than they really were. We'd dance, sing, and party our way through the rough times like we were teenagers again. Yes, it was the first time in years that I'd finally felt at home. Like I couldn't be judged no matter what I did.

But I always had a knack for trouble. No matter how hard I tried to avoid it, it was always lurking in the shadows just waiting for me to let my guard down. You would think by now when someone told me to watch myself, I would listen, but there was one fact about me that I knew – if it came in a pretty package, trouble was always welcome in my house.

Perhaps that's why he caught my eye in the first place. It was a normal fall day just like any other. A week or so before Halloween if I can remember. The route I walked to work was too long for me to take that day. I slept through my alarm that morning and only woke up when I felt Hunter licking my hand. I hurried to get dressed, brush my teeth and eat my breakfast. By the time I left the house, I was going to be five minutes late if I had taken my usual safe and scenic route. I quickly googled a faster way to get to the convenience store where I worked. Despite it showing me going through a bad part of the neighborhood, I didn't care. I quickly tied my shoes and jetted out my house, saying hello to Amy as I ran out of the apartment building.

As I got closer to work, I could see that the park I was passing was filled with all kinds of unsavory characters. People who looked strung out, creepy guys leering at anything that passed by with a vagina, and tough looking street gang members. I pulled my jacket around my shoulders tightly, looking down and hoping no one approached me. That's when I felt a pair of eyes on me. His stare must've been the most powerful one I'd ever felt. It was so intense, it forced my head up and in his direction.

A group of seven boys decked out in streetwear stood against a car in the parking lot. They were all talking amongst themselves, sharing sips from a bottle in a paper bag. Two of them were smoking cigarettes. Six of them weren't even looking at me. My eyes fell on the seventh and my heart stopped for a moment. I couldn't see much of his face. He had a black mask covering his nose and mouth, but he sat on the hood of the car staring at me. His brown eyes pierced right through me like he was trying to shoot lasers into me. He had jet black spiky hair and wore nothing but black including black gloves on his hands. I swallowed hard, my feet stopping for a moment as we made eye contact. My stomach was in knots. I didn't know what to do. Then my phone started to ring.