37

[Hey, this is a little shorter than usual, maybe even a bit rushed, but I didn't want to keep you waiting. Hope you enjoy!]

Jungkook and Taehyung sat together in the living room, watching TV. They'd been bored for hours and were considering going out to walk around town a bit. Their plans were, however, were interrupted when the doorbell rang. 

[a/n: ᵈⁱⁿᵍ ᵈºⁿᵍ]

"Let's go see who it is," Taehyung suggested, "At least it's something to do."

Jungkook agreed and they started towards the door. When they arrived, Namjoon was already there.

"Min Ji!" He exclaimed, bowing quickly, "I wasn't expecting you."

Min Ji smiled and bowed politely.

"I thought I would drop by and say hello. I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Oh, don't worry! We haven't got anything to do today. It's nice to see you. Please, come in."

Min Ji smiled and stepped into the house, having to duck under the door frame. She smiled again when she saw Jungkook and Taehyung beside the door. 

"Good afternoon, Jungkook, Taehyung," She greeted them, tipping her head to each boy in turn. "How has everyone been?"

"We've been well," Jungkook replied, smiling back at her and giving a bow, Taehyung repeating the gesture.

She chuckled, amusement sparkling in her eyes.

"No need to be so formal," She assured them, "After all, I'm not your general anymore. Today, I come to visit as a friend."

They nodded and smiled.

The rest of the boys were pleased to see Min Ji again, too. They talked for a while in the living room before Jin left to prepare lunch, Jimin following to help. Min Ji used this break in conversation to ask Jungkook,

"Jungkook, can we talk for a moment in private?"

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows in confusion but quickly shrugged.

"Sure."

He led Min Ji into the hallway a little ways away from the living room.

"What do you need?" He asked.

"Jungkook, something's been bothering me ever since I heard your name on the news back when you first arrived in this town. I know people say you've had a traumatic past and I hate to bring up bad memories, but I have to ask this for my peace of mind. Are you Jeon Jungkook, the boy who couldn't find a fitting foster home?"

Jungkook raised his eyebrows. He'd never mentioned his surname to anyone, and only Taehyung knew details about his past in foster care. 

"Yes," He replied cautiously, "That's me."

She looked at the floor for a moment before looking up, eyes searching his face.

"Do you remember your foster family when you were fourteen?"

Jungkook was slightly taken aback.

"I- yes. That's probably the only 'family' I remember having."

Min Ji sat on the floor, motioning Jungkook to sit with her. She looked into his eyes and smiled softly.

"Do you remember having a sister?"

Jungkook wanted to look away but found the intensity of her gaze unescapable. The question made him fidget with his hands.

"Of course I remember her. Fiona was my family. The only family I've ever had."

[a/n: If you are confused, rereading chapter 16 should clear up a few things :)]