Invincible

The Shadow Realm

S.E Rose

Invincible

(Loren)

We all sat huddled around the firepit, neither one of us wanting to speak or cry for that matter. Before tonight monsters had only been a very scary part of my childhood in stories or in movies I enjoy watching on Halloween but now the forest seemed to be alive with them and we were all fearing for our lives.

I knew know that Gage and Sam were not normal but some kind of hunters but it was all so confusing...

"Do you think Danny's OK?" Tinsley asked in a whisper.

The question was easy but the answer was hard, what if Danny is gone and Gage and Sam hadn't reached her in time but I couldn't say anything like that in front of Xavier.

"I don't know but I hope she's OK..." I muttered.

Suddenly a few trees in front of us beyond the protected circle shook, I stilled and looked on, my heart hammering in my chest, maybe it was them...

"Help!" Danny's voice screamed out all around us, my eyes widened.

"Danny?" Xavier called out.

"Help!" she screeched again.

"I'm coming!" Xavier yelled and ran straight for the edge of the circle.

"No, Xavier it might be a trap" I snapped out, I highly doubted that Gage and Sam would let Danny slip away.

"But she's my sister" Xavier explained then marched out of the circle, my heart dropped.

"What do we do?" Tinsley asked panicking.

"I have to go get him" I muttered standing, Tinsley's hand grasped my wrist.

"No, you'll die!" Tinsley begged.

"And so will Xavier and he's six" I snapped and pulled my wrist from her hand.

Warily I stepped out of the circle, the dark trees around me seemed to be beckoning me to their depths for a moment I stayed in a short distance from the circle but then I padded into the darkness.

"Run!" Xavier's little voice screamed from some ways away from me, then I heard the thrashing and scrambling among the trees and bushes, Xavier rushed past me, grasping my hand and pulling me backwards.

I staggered but then I started running with full force, the protective circle was only a few short feet a head of us when I heard the beast screaming and charging after us. Xavier broke into the circle and my heart seemed to lift, at least he was safe, suddenly I was face first in the dirt, with a stinging face and a very twisted ankle.

I spun so I was on my back, the beast's head was only mere inches from my face, this was the way I was going to die, this is the end of me. A scream escaped my lips and a small tear dripped down my cheek, I closed my eyes tight, waiting for the pain of teeth ripping through my skin...

When suddenly a large weight seemed to fall unto me, almost crushing my lungs and ribs. I opened my eyes to find the beast crumpled on my chest, it's long tongue lolling out of it's mouth and a disgusting burning smell coming from it's back. I quickly crawled out from under it, despite it's massive weight I felt fine.

"Loren!" Tinsley screamed from behind me, I turned and smiled.

"OK, who the hell helped me?" I screamed out into the woods.

The trees and bushes in front of me and the burning carcase of the monster and a very cocky looking Gage stepped out of the trees, some kind of gun balanced in his hand and a very large grin on his mouth, I rolled my eyes.