The Drunken Kiss

Sam's POV

I couldn't believe myself showing someone my moment of weakness. I just lost it. Or maybe because I can confidently say I trust her. I haven't cried since my mother died. I swore to myself that I would protect my sister and my family the way mom did. After I dried my tears in the most embarrassing way possible, she grabbed my hand to pull me up. We just stand there quietly for several minutes until she said:

"Shall we have some hot chocolates?"

"I would love to." On our way to the cafe, I asked her to step on my board with her feet together. "Stand still, OK?" I placed my foot on the back to balance. I held on her waist and started to push the board. Slower at first until it gained its momentum. She spread her arms like wings.

"Oh my God, I'm flying." She screamed. The cold winds against her skin, her hair flew towards me. Its so soft and fragrant. She is so perfect and free like a careless dove above the sky.

I stopped the skate board in front of the cafe. We ordered the same thing we did last time.

"Why do you dip that cookie on the choco?"

I didn't answer her. Instead, I offered her to taste it. "Here, try it." She was about to resist but I gave her one of those sad puppy eyes and she gave up. She opened her mouth and eat the cookie. "So?"

"Its not bad. Who taught u this trick?"

"My mom. When I was sick and couldn't eat, she make a hot chocolate and dip the cookie in it. The cookie will become soft and easy to chew and swallow."

"You seem to have spent a lot of time with her." She said in a sad tone. "I wish I had the same time with my parents like you do." Ellie's family is rich from what I heard. Her parents are very hardworking people. Her mom is a doctor and her dad is a businessman who manages his company with various branches all over the world. She is left alone in her house with her personal staffs. It must be hard on her. The irony of being a princess locked on her own castle.

"We can hang out more often, you know." I said mindlessly. I do enjoy her company as much as I want to but I also have problems of my own. I didn't think of anything at this very moment. Her eyes got me hypnotised. I also want to see her smile everyday.

Days turn to weeks, weeks turn to months. I grew closer and closer to her. My sister started to notice.

"When do you plan to tell her?"

"Tell her what?" I asked in confusion.

She gave me a puzzled look. "Seriously, Sam. Playing ignorant isn't gonna help you. It is very obvious that you like her."

I hate it when she's right. "Can you just finish cooking that omelette, please?"

"Here." She said. "Gather up your energy, and confess to her. Unless you want a random guy go ahead of you?"

Of course I wont let that happen. My mind was flying in its own thoughts that I didn't realized that the omelette has improved today. I looked up at dad's empty room. When he isn't drunk, he gets up early and work. This month, he started to work as a mechanic in some repair shop. So after preparation, we went our way to school. The usual routine, we met Ellie in front of her house. The two girls are talking in front of me while I do some tricks on my board behind them.

Lunch break. I brought my lunch upstairs. I never eat at the cafeteria. It's either I eat or just sleep. This time I have my lunch box with me and went to my favorite spot on the roof top. It is under a shaded area. I have some sliced apples, sandwich and a bottle of water. After eating, I decided to lay down and sleep. Nightmare started to haunt me again about my mother's death until I heard a voice.