Lana

Lana's POV

Ten years ago:

"Mom, will dad be home for christmas?" I asked.

"Hey, Honey, Daddy is a busy person. He might not be here for christmas."

"How about my birthday?"

"Baby, why don't you get your flute and play for me?"

I obediently followed my mother and played for her. I still wonder why my Dad is still not here on special occasions in my life. The last time I saw him was on Christmas last year and never again. I never realized it at first until that fateful day.

Forward to 6 months ago.

"Mom, why did you left me?" It was raining that day. My mom died days ago and I am here in the cemetery holding her photograph in the rain. I cried so hard that even the rain would look like a sunny day. I felt a tap on my shoulder. An image of a man in a black suit. He looked familiar. His dark brown hair. The scent of perfume. I remember him. I can't be wrong. He is, "Dad?" I muttered.

"You have grown, Lana." He said while he hand me his handkerchief.

"Why are you here?" I am angry and sad.

"Are you not happy?"

"How can I be? Mom is dead and you weren't there."

"Let's talk about this later."

He took me to lunch at a fancy restaurant after the funeral.

"Your mom," He started to speak. "She forbid me on seeing you after learng that I have another family."

"Wait, what?" I said in shock. "So you cheated on Mom?"

"No, I cheated on my wife with your mom."

This revelation shook me and everything I believed in.

"Lana, I want to be a father to you again. Your mom wrote me a letter a month before she died." He said slowly handing me the letter. I read the contents and I started to believe him. "I know it is too late to explain now. I talked to my wife of adopting you. It will take some time to process your papers. For now, you need to live with your relatives but I will send one of my staff to check on you every week."

He also handed me a picture of a girl. "Who is this?"

"Ellie. Her name is Ellie." He replied. "And she is your sister."

I took another look at the picture. She is the same age as me. She is pretty. I can't deny the similarity in us. I smiled and gave back the picture to my father. "I want to meet her." Dad nodded in response.

That night dad booked a business suite in a 5-Star hotel. He said he will be staying for a week for some official business before going back. He wanted me to spend as much time with him before he leaves. After dinner, I went to my room, I started searching for my sister in a social media. I found several of her photos online. In her profile, she is wearing a green hoodie with the name "Sam" embroidered on it. Who is Sam? I scrolled more pictures and I saw a series of pictures from party, some events, and school. What caught my eyes is the picture of a boy standing next to her. He look so cute in his green scarf.  Is he from the same school? I think I would wanna meet him too. I stalked his pictures and finally resigned to sleep.

Forward to one month earlier.

As my dad instructed, I lived temporarily at my aunt for five months while processing my papers. Today, dad's staff will pick me up.

"Miss Lana, I came here to get your things. I assume you are ready now?" He asked me in a monotone voice.

I nodded in response. I bid my aunt goodbye and headed to the car.