CHAPTER TWENTY - EIGHT

Three months had passed since Antonio's change in character and they were growing stronger in their marriage. In no time, the news traveled to their parents' hearing making them to celebrate too. Antonio now goes to church with his wife without complaint and socialized without stress with her church family. Funmi felt she was in a dream, a fairy tale.

Antonio also kept his word concerning Sharon. He stopped seeing her and it was proven by Kemi and Ikechukwu who tailed him for a month to ensure he was truly faithful and was not playing with Funmi's emotions. Since she moved to the master bedroom, they had been praying together although it was a battle at the beginning with Antonio who was not a Christian to be so involved.

Currently, Ikechukwu was going back to the UK in three hours  and Funmi was preparing to see him off in her own way. She invited him, along with Kemi and Dele as well as Antonio's buddies (Hassan, Emeka, Bode and John) for dinner as his flight was at night. Funmi dressed up and had just set the table when her brother and Kemi arrived.

"You look stunning little sis." Dele said happily. It wasn't her dressing he was complimenting but the joy in her eyes as she greeted them. He was relieved and glad that his sister was finally happy in her marriage.

"Thank you." She responded.

Antonio came out of the kitchen carrying a tray of glass cups.

"Antonio, I hope my sister has not turned you into a houseboy," He teased mercilessly.

"Brother!" Funmi whispered shyly.

About five minutes later, Ikechukwu and the other guys arrived and everyone sat down to eat at last.

***

After dinner was over and everyone was in good spirit and chatting, Ikechukwu stole Funmi away to the kitchen. Like a flash, when Funmi disappeared, Antonio made it his business to find out what happened especially since Ikechukwu was also nowhere to be found. He went straight to the kitchen first and walked in on their conversation.

"...not married, you know I would have been honoured to have you as my wife."

Funmi sighed, "That is coveting your neighbour's wife IK! I love you so much too but you know as a brother and my best pal for life." She sighed and added, "I love my husband now and I can't thank God enough that Antonio now loves me too."

"Am I not handsome enough? Hard working enough?" Funmi looked at his light skin tone, friendly face and muscular build, he was one fine brother!

"You are fine IK! You were a heart breaker in high school!" She laughed.

"But your heart didn't break for me." He whined.

Ikechukwu took both her hands and said, "I'm glad you are happy now and I hope Antonio will cherish you for the rest of his life." He let her hands go and hugged her.

"I will miss you Funmi and I will never stop loving you, my friend. Call me anytime when you need me." They broke apart and tears fell from her eyes.

"I will IK and I pray that you too will find the love of your life just as Kemi and I did.

"I wished it was you but I came home too late."

Funmi sighed, "IK! Stop it o. I love Antonio and although I have doubts sometimes about his love for me but I am happy. The Lord will take care of us all." They hugged for the last time.

"I will miss you so please don't cut contact."

"I won't." She replied.

Antonio left the kitchen door and quickly joined the others before he was caught.

***

Kemi and Funmi shed tears after Ikechukwu boarded the plain and had to be comforted by their husbands. Ikechukwu now has a permanent job as a successful estate agent in the UK and not only that, he became a citizen by naturalization. They were happy for him because he deserved all the success with all his hard work and dedication to the company for nearly ten years.

On the journey home, Funmi was silent and her heart hurts for Ikechukwu had fallen in love with her. She knew the pain of unrequited love and prayed that he meets a wonderful woman that he can love and cherish all his life.

As they arrived home, Funmi was looking dejected. Antonio locked the doors while Funmi began to climb up the stairs but he stopped her in her tracks.

"Stop right there." he said softly.

"I'm tired love, can't we talk in the room?"

"What's your problem? Why are you looking so sad as if someone died? Are you in love with him too?"

Funmi walked back to the living room. "What are you talking about?"

"IK! I don't like all these male friends of yours coming here and leaving you with scars and a broken heart."

Funmi stared at him, exhaustion getting into her bones.

"Antonio, Ikechukwu was my childhood best friend. You have no right to be jealous."

Antonio became angry, "You are my wife! I gave up everything for you, you should do same!"

Funmi was appalled by the words that just came out of his mouth.

"I can't believe you are bringing Sharon into this conversation and back into our lives!" Funmi yelled.

Antonio wiped his face with both hands in frustration at his outburst and apologised, "I...I'm sorry. I just want to protect you."

"From what?" She asked calmly. He walked closer to her and said,

"You are mine now and I don't want anything or anyone to separate us."

Funmi shook her head in disappointment. "I don't believe you Antonio. IK is my friend and nothing can separate me from him." She turned on her heels to walk away. She rushed up the stairs and when she was about three steps to get up, Antonio called her in a firm voice. She turned around and began walking down but just five steps down, she lost her balance.

"Funmi!" Antonio cried in shock.

She screamed as he fell down the stairs and landed on the hard tiled floor. She moaned in pain with her eyes closed.

Antonio quickly rushed to unlock the doors, rushed back to his wife, carried her in his arms and straight out to the car for the hospital.