24. New Partners

That chance meeting became their routine. Every morning, Loki had breakfast with Brunnhilde, then wondered four blocks down from their hostel to the rehabilitation complex. Nebula was always there before him, working through her warm-up exercises in the centre of the training hall. The practise dummy, on the other hand, stood in the corner, unused.

This morning too, Loki was the last to arrive. He hung back, watching Nebula's meticulous movements. They were as precise as on any other day, but they lacked the free-flowing grace Loki had observed previously. The line of Nebula's shoulders was stiffer than it should have been. Loki considered simply asking what was bothering her, but Nebula disliked interruptions in the middle of an exercise and she was so flighty about personal matters, he feared an overly forward question would undermine their fragile friendship.

Loki, instead, slipped off his outer layers of garments and put on a thin shirt he didn't mind staining with his sweat. As he folded his street clothes in a neat pile, he realised the rhythmic shuffle of Nebula's feet shifting over the matted area had seized. He glanced around to find Nebula staring at him.

She averted her gaze. 'Good morning. I was wondering if I could ask you for a favour.'

'Depends on the favour,' Loki replied. He had three double entendres ready to go, but kept them to himself. Nebula hadn't responded well the last time he had tried one on her.

'How good are you with a sword? Would you mind if we train with swords today? My sister is due to return shortly and I need to be ready for her.'

'Planning an assassination?' Loki asked.

Nebula frowned for a moment, then rolled her eyes. 'We always spar and she favours the sword. So, Baugi, you don't mind?'

'Hardly. I could use some practice with a sword myself.'

'Ok, good. I picked up a few that looked about the right size,' Nebula said, pointing towards the large duffel bag she had left by the door to the hall.

Inside were half a dozen different swords of various lengths and blade widths. All had blunt edges, but anyone on a receiving end of a strike from these would earn a sizable welt nevertheless. Loki examined the swords one by one, checking the centre of balance and how the grip sat in his hand. None of them were perfect. He settled for one that distinctly reminded him of Fandral's rapier. It had a nice grip - not so new that the leather was slippery and not old enough for the leather to have started to break down.

'Are you going to warm up?' Nebula asked as Loki took position opposite her. She had asked him the same question practically every morning so far.

Loki flashed a smile. 'You just want to watch me sweat.'

'You aren't as handsome or charming as you think you are.'

'But you do think I am just a little bit handsome? And charming?'

Nebula shook her head, not meeting his eyes. 'Stop fishing for compliments and hit me already.'

Loki let out a mock scoff, then sank onto the intimately familiar warrior's stance and brought up his sword. Their first drill was nothing more than what a child in their first year of training would do. They took turns making the different common cuts and thrusts until they were satisfied with each one. Nebula had no tolerance for imperfection.

They then both moved a step back, changing the distance between them and went through their repertoire of swings and cuts. Then they altered their starting position again. It was a painfully repetitive exercise, but it reinforced the fundamentals of good technique. Thor had also claimed on more than one occasion that these sorts of exercises relaxed him. Loki settled for acclimatising to the unfamiliar weapon in his hand.