Chapter 5

For GoddessOfRainbows

A/N: Boredom so you guys get an update.

I gasped loudly, shooting up in my bed. My breathing was coming erratically. I have to stop having these dreams. It's been like this for a week. I felt like Scott was mad at me. He would barely talk unless they were orders. That's what's been fueling my nightmares.

It will just seem like a normal day. I'll wake up in my bed but when I turn on my side, Scott is in the bed right next to me. At first I'm confused. So I go through my normal routine. Halfway through the day Scott slams me up against the wall by my throat. And I'm choking. I try to tell him to stop. I try screaming. But nothing works. Then he shoves the knife slowly in my side and when the hilt finally meets skin, I wake up. In complete panic.

"You okay?" I glanced at the doorway. Scott was wearing pajama bottoms that rested loosely on the sharp bones of his hips. I scrambled up against my headboard.

"I'm not in the mood to deal with this." I pushed my damp hair away from where it teased my sight with its presence.

"And do you think I enjoy waking up at three in the morning when someone screams 'help me'?" There was no tone of joking present. He seemed irritated.

"I'm sorry." He walked over to the bed and sat on the edge closest to me.

"What's going on in that grapefruit Mitch?" He poked my head. I brought my knees to my chest, resting my chin on my wrapped arms.

"Nightmares." He made a sound as if he was saying 'duh' but regained himself from coming off rude.

"About what?" I let my eyes travel up to him as he moved to sit next to me with his legs stretched in front. Should I tell him? What if he laughs or kills me the same way that he's been haunting my every thought?

"About you." He nudged me.

"And what about me?"

"You...." I had to think of how to word this. "You kill me." He frowned.

"Interesting." He seemed to stay in a silence as his mind raced with thoughts. I tried to stop the burning question from escaping.

"How are you so smart?" I blurted it out anyways.

"It was wrong if I wasn't in advance classes. I would be punished. Even after I was taken out of school to join the family business, I was homeschooled." We had no record of him being homeschooled in his file. "My favorite subject was psychology. What about you?" I shrugged.

"I didn't like school that much. And as nerdy as it sounds, I loved doing my homework."

"What's wrong with being nerdy?" I turned to look at his face. He was smiling.

"Why did you break up with your fiancé?"

"Excuse me?" His smile was gone and I saw a very pissed off look on his face.

"Well, I mean, uh...." Shit. I was nervous. "You gorgeous....an-nd smart and...." I couldn't bring myself not to stutter. I was practically shaking. "And even though you like playing with my head....you're nice." We sat in a very uncomfortable quiet that made my skin crawl.

"My job came before him. I didn't love him enough to give up what I've been working for so long."

"He didn't mind-"

"No. He was a druggie." He was staring down at his lap. "I don't like this heart to heart shit."

"Why? Because you're actually acting like a human being." I covered my mouth in surprise. He was even shocked that I actually spoke my mind. "Holy shit. I'm so so-"