Chapter 12

For Scomiche_Lover

"You're cute, you know that?" Wyatt was staring at me with a confused look on his face. I rolled my eyes as if the cat said something to me. Well, I imagined him saying something to me. "What am I suppose to tell him? What if he hates me?"

"Talking to animals can mean you're crazy." I narrowed my eyes at Wyatt as a real voice pierced the one sided conversation. I looked towards my bedroom doorway when I realized it would be crazy if the cat actually talked. Scott was standing with his nice jacket thrown over his shoulder. He wasn't suppose to be back for another week.

"I'm not crazy. I have no one else to talk to when you're gone." I shrugged, sitting up on my couch.

"You don't have to stay locked in this house." Scott took the spot next to me. I shook my head. "Why?" I didn't answer. I just curled up to his chest. If I was allowed out of the house, I would have to meet Ryan in public and report my findings. I didn't want to betray Scott. I don't think he killed my parents. "You don't?"

"I don't what?"

"You don't think I killed your parents?" I guess I said that part out loud.

"No. I don't." He leaned over to give me a small kiss. It was suppose to be a small kiss at least. But as soon as my arms wrapped around his neck, it was stronger. This wasn't one of our tear each other's clothes off though. In fact, it felt really nice. He was holding his face in my hands as he kissed me gently. I felt like a teenager all over again. He broke the kiss and put his forehead against mine. "I'm glad you're back early." I said that sentence and I meant every word.

"Me too." His fingers brushed against my cheek. "I missed you." I thought about my response.

"I missed you too." It was insufferable without him here. His mom was driving me crazy for the past two weeks he's been gone. "Don't leave me alone with your mom again."

"Sorry." He laughed at me. "She's a paranoid schizophrenic."

"Really?" He nodded. That wasn't in his mom's file.

"Yeah. She prides herself on keeping a secret." He was leaning back on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. "Did you know schizophrenia is genetic?" He looked at me with a worried expression. "I don't want to end up like her. She thinks everyone is an agent and that if they aren't, they're gold diggers going after my money. Especially you." I tensed.

"And what do you think?"

"I hope you aren't those people." I wish I wasn't. I wrapped my arms around his torso, resting my head on his chest.

"I'm not." I lied. I wish I had met him out of my job. Like at a coffee shop. But if I had met him that way and he told me that he was a drug lord, I would have turned him in a heartbeat. Is it better that I'm going behind his back?

"Oh I'm sorry!" Grace covered her eyes as she walked in with me on top of Scott. My shirt had been taken off so I think she thought we were naked. "Scott, Mr. Ya-"

"Terry in the house." Mr. Yakutz walked through the door without warning. Scott was quick to hand me my shirt and stand up with me protectively placed behind him. "Mitch. You're more beautiful with your clothes off." I hid further behind Scott. He had an irritated look that I haven't seen in forever on his features.

"What do you want Terry?" Wyatt hissed at the unfamiliar man.

"I see you bought your new squeeze a cat. Did you tell him you're allergic?" Scott didn't look over at me but I know he could feel me watching him. He was allergic to cats and he didn't tell me. He even got me the cat. Why would he do that?

"What do you want?" He repeated the question more forcefully. Terry came to sit on the couch in front of us.

"I want to talk to Mitch. Alone."

"Out of the question." I grabbed one of Scott's arms so he didn't go forward.

"Grace is your assistant's name. She lives on the right wing of the house with her young daughter. It would be a shame if something happened to them." Terry was inspecting his nails with disinterest.

"Okay." I answered for Scott. I covered his mouth before he could try to talk back. "I'll scream if I need help." He glanced at Terry.

"Be careful." Scott gave me a quick kiss. I shut the door behind him. I put my shirt on before coming to sit on the reclining chair across from my couch. I still couldn't believe how cool this room was. Terry was sitting with his legs crossed.

"I thought you looked familiar."

"Excuse me?"

"Agent Grassi." Everything about me grew cold and I could feel the color drain from my body.

"How?"

"I keep tabs on the most educated agent on the Hoying Drug Case. Even when he tried to go into hiding." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Why are you tell me this?"

"Simple. I want Scott dead." He came over to pin me in the chair. "And I want you to kill him."

"What?!"

"I'll find your brother for you." I felt awful when I actually thought about that deal. My brother was eight when my parents died. He hopefully remembered me. But this is killing a human being. I can't do that.

"I can't....I can't kill him." I tried getting as far away as possible from Terry by sinking in my seat.

"Is it because you're fucking him? That he bought you a cat?" I looked down at my hands. I don't think I could kill anyone. But when I first started, I was prepared to blow Scott's brains out. I couldn't imagine doing that now. It was different. I got to know him. I realized he wasn't a bad guy. And I really like when we were intimate. "Or is it because you're starting to fall in love with him?" I didn't say anything. I don't think I was in love with Scott. Terry put his lips to my ear. "I'll let you think about it."

"Are you okay?" Scott came into the room as Terry left. I snapped out my thoughts.

"I'm fine." That night, after Scott was fast asleep, I let the debate happen in my head. My brother or a potentially good guy disguised as a drug dealer. I ran my hand along Scott's scratched back. I jumped as he turned to face me. He let out a soft breath in his sleep. He was handsome. I ran my fingers through his hair as my other hand brought my gun to his forehead. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I returned the weapon to its hiding spot.

"Meow." Wyatt was sitting on the edge of the bed. He was judging me. I could tell.

"Don't tell." The cat came to curl in front of Scott's arm. I couldn't kill Scott. Not even for my brother.