2

SAGE COULD BARELY BREATHE AS HE WAS ESCORTED INTO THE JUSTICE HALL

SAGE COULD BARELY BREATHE AS HE WAS ESCORTED INTO THE JUSTICE HALL. A peacekeeper kept a firm hand on his shoulder as he physically directed him into a room. If he hadn't been directing Sage, he probably would just stood in one place— aimlessly and unable to move on his own. What could he possibly say to anyone who came to say goodbye to him? How could he look at them even? Just thinking about it made his stomach drop and his chest began to ache at the thought of never seeing them again. What if Ella came? She knew how many times his name had been entered, but nobody else knew. What would he tell his family? What would he tell Prim? She was just starting to learn about the games in school, and now she and Katniss would have to go to school while everyone around them knew he was in the arena. In the past, if anyone in his class had a sibling go to the Capitol— nobody could bare to look at them. Even teachers, any interaction was one that was full of pity. Surely Mrs. Allen would be no different towards Prim.

     Sages' mind was spiraling as the peacekeeper ushered him into a nicely decorated room in the Justice Building. The heaviness in his stomach began to radiate through his whole body, he felt weak and like his breakfast would make a unwelcomed reappearance. So in a feeble attempt to calm himself down, he focused on the room around him. He had been in Mayor Undersee's home a few times, most of the time to get Katniss and walk her home. But other times to offer Mrs. Undersee some fresh berries or herbs in exchange for just a few coins that he could save. This room was decorated like their entire home— on one wall was a window that overlooked the district that was framed by dark wood and elegant curtains; the type that looked soft to the touch. The furniture was leather, and was dark in color. They looked freshly polished or something— which wouldn't surprise him. He didn't think these rooms were used for much more than this.

      His eyes drifted back to the window though. So he made his way to the window and pushed the curtain to the side; getting a clear view of the dispersing crowds. When he was younger, his father would take him beyond the fences if the weather was nice— they'd hunt a bit, but for the most part they'd sit and they would talk in the meadow. It wasn't until he was old enough for the reaping that his father was just enjoying getting another year, safe from the reaping. After his fathers hours changed, he took Katniss and did the same thing. His mother only allowed Prim out a few times. He wished that's what he was planning on doing this year; he hoped his father would take Katniss this year...

      Sage glanced downward; what would stop him from jumping? Surely dying that way, on his own terms, and not on national television would be better...

       Sage quickly stopped entertaining that thought and stepped back from the window. How could he even let himself think that? At least if he dies in the games, Kat and Prim could be distracted and away from the television and they wouldn't need to see him. So he turned to examine a small table that was just beside him, on the table was a vase of flowers. He wasn't sure what type, they looked like daisies but he wasn't sure.