Chapter 10: Greed

Aria remained quiet as she saw the woman smile at Alex. She felt uncomfortable as the woman smiled at him intensely.

Alex sighed and put his hand on the woman’s shoulder, pushing her gently away from him but not wanting to be rude.

“Karina, this is my friend Cheryl, she’s a  professional makeup artist here to make you look pretty and dress you up for the night.”

Aria didn’t understand. She was a little taken by his comment, “What do you mean by that and my name is Aria remember”.

“Oh sorry,” he said as he scratched his head, “I’m so used to calling you Karina. You know what, I don’t care, you’re Karina to me. So I’m going to call you that”.

“Okay,” aria said awkwardly.

“That where you’re going,” Cheryl cut in, “you’ll need to glitz it up a notch because of your job or whatever. Right Alex?” She said as she looked up at him.

“Yea,” he said looking away from her.

“When are you going to tell me your job anyway? What’s so bad if I know?”.

“I told you a million times Cheryl,” he sighed, “unless you are a person of authority, you don’t need to know.

Cheryl pouted, “I’ll get it out of you sooner or later”.

“Well, I’ve got errands to run,” he said before he turned to Cheryl, “you’ve got three hours and make sure to cover her tattoos well.”

Cheryl leaned down and looked at the rolling bag she held in her left hand, “Honey, I can do it in two, don’t screw with my ability.”

Alex was already out the door and called out frustrated, “Then I hope you perfect it by the time I’m back!”  

Aria didn’t know if it was her imagination, but Alex looked relieved to get out the door.

When he was gone Cheryl he grabbed Aria’s wrist and pulled her to the couch, and unzipped her bag.

She peeked in and saw the bag filled to the brim. There was bottles, brushes and fabric. What was all of this, and how did she have all of this?

Cheryl scoffed as she examined Aria’s face before dabbing some dust on her brush. “As if, please, that asshole underestimates me. I’ll be sure to pretty you for sure and make his heart bleed in his chest.”

She’s a bit hyper, Aria thought as she  fiddled with the hem of her shirt. “What am I even prettying up for?”