Chapter 4: Struggle

For some reason, Karina wasn't intending on giving up on Alex. She didn't see the harm it did to take a peek outside, she really didn't, but she as also not comfortable to have Alex angry at her.

She wondered if he might even return all the clothes he bought her. It would be fair, but it wouldn't really when it came down to it. Actually she didn't mind, she would give it up if he wouldn't be mad at her.

She tried knocking on the door gently, trying to coax Alex out. What Karina didn't do was tell him she was sorry; it's better to do it when he was all ears. For all she knew he might be sleeping. Or seething.

The night dragged on, and it wasn't silent. Karina heard running water. He was probably taking a shower to clean his cuts.

"Don't touch me." Those words stung her.

She was just trying to help, but it seemed like she was just making it worse.

Karina sat herself by the side of the bathroom door, waiting. Whenever he'd come out, which would be eventually, she'd be ready. Her mind knew that he wouldn't go for the extreme and climb out the window, jumping down fifty stories to his death. But he might walk out when he thought Karina was asleep.

She hoped she wouldn't give him the opportunity. Besides, when would he even know when she was asleep or not?

Karina waited and waited. Her eyelids started feel heavy. No she reminded herself. She has to wait. Alex won't ever hear the whole story if she doesn't. Staying awake was a must.

She hugged her knees and pressed her face on them. Inhale, exhale, breathe in, breathe out, she whispered to herself, calming down.

This whole time she had been fighting not to cry. This whole night was ruined by that dumb cat monster.

Alex was the only person she knew, the only person she was getting close to. The only person who cared about her amnesia and tried to make light of it.

She couldn't help but feel sad and depressed.

Karina stayed awake for about two hours and thirty minutes until she fell asleep.

She couldn't help it. At least in her dreams Alex was her friend again.

Alex turned the water off. He couldn't take it anymore. His cuts burned when the water touched him.

He breathed heavily as he slouched on the walls sinking to the ground.

He ran his fingers through his wet hair. Alex got back up, and walked out of the shower. He wrapped a towel around his waist and stopped at the mirror to see himself.

His cuts looked a little better. Meaning they didn't look as bloody and sore.

Alex softly opened the door to see Karina seating down sleeping. Then he gently closed the door and walked over to his room.

When he went inside he locked the door and got dressed. Before he could put on his shirt he started to have an anxiety attack.

His heart was pounding so hard and the scene before him started to blur.m

Alex laid on his bed, his arm across his eyes as he breathed heavily, trying to calm himself down. His teeth was clenched and his hands were in fists.

He could feel it within him, the darkness. It was eating away at him trying to take over control.

He clutched his heart feeling it beat inside his chest.

Alex tried to distract himself, not now, not now.

~

The moment Karina jolted awake, she stood up and knocked on the bathroom door. She couldn't believe she fell asleep last night. Karina thought she had him and everything too, you know by staying by the door.