Chapter 5: Interrogation

Karina was surprised by what he said. "What do you mean," she asked, her face a mixture of confusion and recovering from shock. "That's out of nowhere."

"Yeah, but it's something," he said. Then he leaned closer to her. "Do you or do you not want to find out who you are?" His grip on the table tightened as he waited for her reply. The answer should be obvious, this amnesiac shouldn't question what Alex says.

Karina shrugged, "Okay, sure. I don't think it's going to work, though." She turned to face Alex again, seeing him close to her face. "Personal space is also going to help, too," Karina added jokingly.

"We'll see about that," he said in a low voice before snapping out of thoughts. He stepped back, but his gaze didn't relent.

Alex stared deeply into her eyes, "What's your name?"

"I don't know, the only name I can remember is the name you gave me, Karina", she said honestly. He looked so serious so she tried to answer as best she could. She wasn't in the mood in disappointing Alex again.

"Does it sound like a name you had before?"

Her reply was instant, "No."

He sighed, "I'll run through some names and tell me to stop if any of them sounds familiar."

She nodded and then he began.

"Margret? Lira? Danielle? Natalie? Kristen? Monica? Cheryl? Morgan? Adrianna? Grace? Kalel? Sarah? Jeanette? Anything?"

Alex looked up to see her reaction. Her face held no trace of familiarity, it was just blank and deep in thought.

"No."

"What people consist in your family?"

"Don't know. Can't remember."

"You're sure?"

"I think I would've told you if I did know by now," she replied softly, "you know, you can trust me. I don't have any reason to go against you."

Alex shook his head and leaned back. He looked past her shoulder then put his gaze back on her. He shrugged, "Sort of." Pausing, he added, "I don't know, not sure of you anymore, just telling you that now."

"Alex..." Karina said his name gently, touching his arm. She was trying to get his attention, she didn't want it at other times, but she needed it now. Actually, Karina needed his trust of all things! If he didn't trust her, Alex could easily off her when he wanted to or would shun her after this was over.

Something inside of Karina told her that she didn't want that to happen. She didn't ask for any of this drama to happen. Calming her nerves, she watched as Alex's head snapped up to look at her.

Alex flinched, then steadied himself, pretending nothing happened. Karina couldn't help but feel a sharp sting of pain from that reaction. It meant that he still didn't trust her.

She sighed and put her hands on her lap.

"I said I was sorry, okay? Can you let it go?"

There was a long pause between them. It was always coming down to silence huh, Karina thought sadly as she looked at Alex, waiting for her answer. He finally answered, "Whatever, sure, I forget what we're talking about already, but you gotta promise to listen or I swear I'll kill you myself."

Karina nodded not doubting his words. "Uh..thanks. Sure. I promise."

"Yeah, so back to questioning," Alex picked up where he left off. He didn't have time to lose.

"We're going back to your family. Do you remember if you had a brother or sister? Maybe even a pet."

Karina shook her head. Alex nodded and started up again, "Do you feel like you miss someone...like some attachment? Like your friends or a crush? Let's see how much of a clingy person you are. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all."