Chapter Nine: Infiltration

Warning: Slight Violence

"Are you ready?" Chrollo asks as the last troupe member heads into the drainage tunnel. This old sewage pipe only lets out behind the butcher's shop in the middle of town and is wide enough for only two people to walk side-by-side at the same time.

I palm my dagger and double check that all of my knives and my sword are secure. My heart is pounding and threatening to break right through my rib cage. My throat is dry and my words get stuck, so I stand on my toes and give Chrollo my answer in the form of a kiss.

       He places his hand on the small of my back as we both enter the dank and dark tunnel. Other than an occasional plop of water, the only sounds that echo off the concrete walls are the soles of our shoes slapping against the pavement. Chrollo uses the flashlight feature on his phone to ensure neither of us take a tumble.

       Up ahead, about five minutes from the entrance, is a cluster of little specks of light created by the other members mobile devices. They're gathered around the ladder that leads to the manhole cover.

       Uvogin climbs up first and pushes the steel barrier aside effortlessly. Once the coast is clear, he climbs out. Once Feitan, Shalnark, Paku and Machi disappear through the hole above our heads it's my turn. I'm followed closely by the boss and the rest of the troupe.

       Glancing around, I take in the familiar cobblestone streets and alleyways lines with candlelit lamps. The smell of a nearby bakery wafts into my nose and causes my stomach to rumble ever-so-slightly.

       "Lead the way, Princess," Nobunaga smiles as Uvo places the cover back in its spot.

       "We've got your back, Y/N," Shalnark grins as he holds onto his antennae.

       I can sense it from everyone. All of their auras are tinted with bloodlust. They're beyond ready to spill blood tonight.

       My stomach pinches in anticipation. With three deep breaths, my feet move out of the dark alleyway and onto the main road. The palace is in view the moment I turn the corner.

       Ten feet in front of me are two guards. By the time the look of recognition enters their eyes, one of my throwing knifes is already lodged in the throat of the one on the left and my dagger's blade is in the chest of the other. My hands are shaking, not out of guilt or being horrified by my actions but out of the rush of adrenaline coursing through my body. I retrieve my throwing knife and wipe the blood off using the dead mans clothing before reattaching it to my belt. I take a moment to watch little droplets of blood fall from the tip of my dagger.

       I don't get to enjoy the feeling of satisfaction for long due to a woman releasing her inner banshee. When I stand up and look at her, the features of her face are caught between relief in seeing the princess of Ash and fear knowing that I'm the same subordinate girl I was raised to be.

I feel like a switch has been flipped inside of me. The desire to kill courses over every nerve ending in my body. I can feel the bloodlust oozing from my aura.

       Like a wolf stalking its prey, I take a step toward the woman but I'm stopped by a hand on my shoulder. Looking back, I see Chrollo. His eyes are light and brimming with something that can only be described as pride.

       "As enticing and exhilarating as it is to watch you stain your hands, we have bigger targets to seek out," his voice is soothing and enough to bring my attention back to the mission at hand.

       "Can't have all the fun," Feitan mutters into his collar. He aims the tip of his umbrella at the woman and something shoots out. A split second later the woman falls limp.

       Chrollo takes my hand in his and the troupe spreads out around us. "We can't let our princess fall before we reach the palace. Keep the guards and people in the streets off us, but stay near the main road. When we reach our target you are free to do as you please."

       Under normal conditions, the walk to the palace from where we stand should take about five to ten minutes. The delay caused by the slaughter of guards and citizens alike slows us down but only by adding an extra five minutes. Other than the two guards, I didn't spill any blood and neither did Chrollo.

       "They've most likely raised the alarm inside the castle by now," I say as we approach the gates. "Though the possibility of an attack was always discussed, my father was too stubborn to sully the castle with a safe room. Everyone we will be looking for will be gathered in the throne room, which as I told you during our briefing is in the back."

       There are about thirty guards occupying the courtyard in front of us. Their weapons are poised but it's clear they don't think we'll be able to push through the gate considering the only way to open it is through a hand-cranked mechanism on the side opposite from where we stand.

       Uvogin laughs and cracks his knuckles as he approaches the fifty foot metal behemoth. He grips the two center-most bars and slowly pulls them apart. Every muscle and vein in his arms, shoulders and neck ripple and bulge to the soundtrack of grinding iron. The guards stare with wide eyes and those in the front rows inch backwards as the barrier keeping us from them is rendered useless.

       Once again, Chrollo holds me back as the other members charge forward and make a mess of the white stone.

       "I know you want to rampage with them," he smiles. "But you must retain your strength. Besides, if you hadn't picked up on it yet, you're incredibly precious to me and I don't want anything to happen to you."

       I tilt my head back and meet his gaze. Butterflies flutter around my rib cage and I can't tell if they're caused by the fact I'm about to face my father or they're for the prince of darkness standing at my side. All I know is that tonight is the night my life truly changes.