| 40 |

~=~

  Natasha and Astrilde ran next to each other, headed to intercept Barnes. Astrilde had to help her friends, even if she wasn't legally allowed to. It seemed like Natasha understood that need, because she didn't stop Astrilde as her sword materialized in her hand.

  They caught up with Tony, who didn't even glance in Astrilde's direction. Even he knew when to let the Asgardian help.

  "I am guessing you did not plan for this?" Astrilde asked as they ran after Sharon.

  "We didn't know there was going to be an issue like this," Tony responded, "And since when did you decide you were on our team. From what I've seen, you're the one who left Wanda."

  "And you're the one that is trapping her in her own home!" Astrilde cried out. Tony's words rung in her head. She hadn't left because she wasn't on their team– because she didn't care. She left because she did care. She left because it was the only way.

  "Maybe we can have this conversation later?" Natasha asked, putting an end to Tony and Astrilde's words before it ended badly. Astrilde glanced at Nat, nodding.

  Eventually they made it to a dining area, where Barnes attacked several guards, taking them down quite quickly. Astrilde and Tony had broken off from Natasha, and they stood pressed against a wall, feet away from Barnes himself.

  "I know it is not the best time, but I am sorry Tony. I do not want to be caught up in this."

  "Sometimes you don't have a choice," Tony muttered, before doing something extremely stupid. He ran out in the open, wearing only an Iron Man hand.

  "Damned idiot," Astrilde hissed. She didn't leave her spot from behind the pillar. She couldn't give the United Nations more reason to persecute her. So, she observed Tony send a sound beam at Barnes, before running at the newly awakened Winter Soldier with his hand out in front of him.

  Their combat wasn't long, though Astrilde's stomach lurched every time the Winter Soldier nearly shot the billionaire. Luckily, Barnes eventually threw Tony back enough to stun him.

  "Tony! Are you ok?" Astrilde asked, running over to her friend. He looked at her, catching his breath.

  "I'll be fine."

  "Be careful, Stark. I don't want to lose you." Tony looked stunned by her words, something that wasn't normal for the billionaire. She smiled softly, though the familiar sadness of her friend's low opinion of himself was there as well. The lighthearted moment was short lived, however.

  Sharon had been thrown into a table, and Natasha was almost suffocated by Barnes. Before Astrilde could intercept, she heard the familiar crackle of an earpiece. Hand it to the government to forget to check Sam, Steve, and her own ears for any sign of communication devices.

  "Astrilde, do you copy? I'm at the front entrance of the building," Sam's familiar voice filled her ears. She sat quietly for a moment, weighing her options. She could stay and risk persecution immediately, or she could wait it out and hopefully stop Barnes.

  A moment later, Astrilde raised her hand to her ear. "I copy." She looked one more time with Tony, regret on her features, before leaving. In the chaos, it was pretty simple, everybody too focused on their own lives to care about anyone else's.

  It was not long until she came in contact with Sam. Before they spoke, he dragged her to a semi-secluded area, somewhere that wouldn't be immediately searched for the new vigilantes.