Chapter 7

Heyyyy ;)

So I haven't updated in a couple days, because school and cross country just started, so i've been quite busy.

But i'm updating now!

xox

Cassie

***************************************************************************************************************************

Serena, having just woken up, sat on the edge of her bed, rubbing her eyes.

Today was her sixteenth birthday.

Today was especially upsetting for Serena, because every birthday she had ever had had been celebrated with her mother by her side. It was an achievement for Serena, that she had made it one more year, because each and every day she was so close to death.

Serena didn't have her mom anymore...

Serena just decided to go on and act as if today was any other day, but those plans were changed pretty soon.

Harry burst into her room carrying flowers, chocolate, and a little wrapped present Serena was curious about.

"Happy birthday!" he said cheerfully.

Serena was shocked. "How .. did you ...?" she asked.

"You mentioned it to me two weeks ago. Remember?" Harry said, his voice unusually light and cheerful.

"Oh ... yes. Oh, thank you so much Harry!" Serena jumped up and hugged Harry tight.

Harry shoved the present into her hands. "Open it," he demanded.

Serena didn't argue. She carefully tore the paper whilst sneaking cute smiles up in Harry's direction. When she was finished, she said, "Oh...."

It was a beautiful aquamarine stone set in diamonds. It must have cost a fortune.

"Oh, Harry, it's beautiful," Serena slipped it onto her finger. It fit perfectly. "Just gorgeous. Thank you so, so, so much."

Harry smiled shyly and whispered, "You're welcome."

Serena's fingers were pale and old-looking from years of chemo, but with the beautiful ring on it, her hand looked beautiful.

"I will wear it forever. I promise." Serena said.

"That's good to hear. I was afraid you wouldn't like it," Harry said nervously, scratching the back of his neck.

"It's beautiful, what girl wouldn't like it?" Serena said, admiring the way the way the aquamarine caught the light and shimmered.

Harry smiled again.

"Harry," Serena whispered. "I met you six months ago, but it feels like we've been together forever and ever."

"I know."

"But we will be together forever from now on, right."

"Of course."

Serena gazed up at Harry's face, so innocent and cute, and kissed him, pulling his face towards hers.

"We will," she said.

"We will," he repeated.

***

Two weeks later, Serena sat on the edge of her bed, holding up her hand, which graced the beautiful ring, in front of her face. She was deep in thought.

"Now, that I'm sixteen, things should change."

"I could be like other sixteen-year olds."