🌊⚓ Chapter 6 ⚓🌊

Anthony's POV

I remember when we took that picture. Kayla and I had just finished eating ice cream, it was out favorite after school ritual. She still had a bit of ice cream on her cheek.

"Where did you get this?" I asked Rafeal as I looked at the photo once more.

"Up until the fire, I got monthly reports on my daughters." He pulled out another photo, Kayla and I were also in this picture, along with her sister Niyah.

"...I had to make sure they were safe. These girls mean the world to me. I didn't give them up because I didn't want them. Everything was for them. My business dealings would have made them an instant target."

I looked at his body language as he spoke. Either he was telling the truth, or he was a hell of an actor. As I looked at his face, I began to notice little similarities.

He had Kayla's eyes. Just like hers, they sparkled with mischief and untold secrets.

He had Niyah's nose. Well, he had a version of Niyah's nose that looked like it had been broken a few times.

"How do I know that you are telling me the truth?"

"What do you care about the truth, you're a mercenary!?!" he asked incrediously

"All I care about is the truth. The truth keeps my team safe. I don't commit to anything unless I know that I can keep my team safe. If I know the truth in the beginning, no matter how dangerous it may be, I can always formulate a plan. How can you plan for a lie?"

"Okay, I will play your game little boy. The females in my family all have one thing in common, it's something that I know both of my daughters share. On the upper right of their should blade, there is a birthmark. On the shoulder of my oldest daughter, the birthmark looks like a tear. On the shoulder of my younger daughter, it looks like a heart."

Kayla does have a heart shaped birthmark on her right shoulder blade...

"Then just go Anthony... I don't need you." Kayla said as she turned away from me. I didn't want to leave, but I had to... 

"I have missed most of my daughters lives. There is no point in hiding them anymore. Even if one person knows about them, that's too many. I don't know how anyone found out about them. I made sure that I didn't know their names so that they could live. I need to find them now so that I can protect them. Help me find my daughters."

There was a sincerity in his words that you just can't fake, but there is something else. There is something that he is holding back. I take a moment to just think about it. This would mean speaking to Kayla again. I haven't spoken to her since the last argument we had.

"I sense there is something else that you aren't telling me."

"The safety of my daughters is important to me. That being said, I also hired Justin Maxwell to help find them."

"Where is Justin now?"

"Actually, he should be here soon."

Rafeal's phone began going off.
He looked at the screen and he answered. He didn't say a word. Instead he just listened. Then he hung up.

"Justin won't be joining us afterall. It appears that he has made contact with my daughters, but someone else has found them. Pierre De'Mayo. He will do anything to bring me down. My men are at your disposal. Whatever it takes, I need you to get my daughters away from that son of a bitch."

I noticed a slight tremor in his left hand, as he raised it to his head. His distress was evident in his face. His men seemed unsettled. It was as if they had never seen Rafeal in such a state of distress before.

All except one man. He rose from his chair and walked over to the table. He placed his hand on Rafeal's back and said.

"I think it would be best if we left now. Mr. Mariano, my father and I will check back with you in a few days. At that point, we are hopeful that you will have reached a decision about helping us..."

"Actually, I have already made my decision, have your men ready within the hour."

Kayla and I weren't exactly on speaking terms, but I'm not about to let anyone hurt her.

"One last thing. Pierre D'Mayo is a ruthless mafia boss. What is your connection to him, I need to know how best to protect my team. Yes I am a mercenary, but I am one who protects those in my care."

"What is the name of Pierre D'Mayo's biggest rival?"

"Papa, non. (Dad, no)" The man on the side of him said.

"Pour tes soeurs Rafeal. (For your sisters Rafeal)" He replies.

"Gustavo St. Pé."

"Ah, so you do know a bit of history. What is the most interesting fact about Gustavo St. Pé?"

"I don't have time for a history lesson, old man."

"If you do not know history, how do you expect to understand the present?"

"Ok, I will play your game. The most interesting fact about Gustavo St. Pé is that everyone knows his name, but no one has seen his face."

"That is exactly it boy. No one has seen the face of Gustavo St. Pé... Until now. Pierre thinks I'm Gustavo's right hand man. He thinks he can weaken Gustavo and his empire by stealing my daughters."

"I will go with you," the real Rafeal said.

***Author's Note: Hope you enjoyed this update. New chapters will be posted soon.***