Chapter 3

Early the next morning Brock, Ann and Kali woke up, still a little tired and got dressed, as the moving van had arrived. Everyone helped loading boxes and other things into the van. Soon it was the puppies turn to pile into the van. 

The twins helped Pongo count the puppies, while Kali was helping the adults prepare to leave. The twins always did a better count job than Pongo, when they realized Patch was missing.

"Sis, we'll be right back! We're gonna go get Patch!" Brock and Ann told their big sister then rushed back inside. 

But Kali didn't hear her younger siblings due to the puppy barking and the van's loud engine sounds. She thought her younger siblings were planning on riding in back of the van with the dalmatians.

"Patch, Patch?!" Brock and Ann called out as they frantically searched the house, knowing that the moving van would leave any second. They soon found Patch sleeping in the kitchen next to the empty kanine krunchies bag.

"What is it?" Patch groaned, still half asleep.

"Come on, we're leaving!" Ann sounded urgent.

Patch gasped as he shot up, completely awake now and ran with the twins to the window. The three of them saw Roger load up the van with the dalmatians in back. Patch tried barking while the twins yelled but they couldn't be heard as the van drove off with the family, leaving them behind.

"They left without us" Brock felt abandoned.

"Well that figures. They didn't even miss me" Patch sighed with his head down. But then they looked up to see the kanine krunchies car drive pass the house.

"Then we're not gonna miss them!" Patch said, determined.

"That's right, the auditions, we'll get to see Thunderbolt. Come on!" Ann opened the door and she, her twin brother, and the spotted puppy started chasing after the car.

They jumped on the back end of the car and rode it all the way down to the Thunderbolt set.

"We made it!" Patch smiled. While the twins placed their hands over their ears, annoyed with the kanine krunchies jingle they had to endure during the ride, all the way.

Meanwhile with Kali and the rest of the dalmatians, they had arrived to their new home on the farm. Kali smiled as she watched the puppies run off to explore the sights and sounds, with Marshall causing a few wipeouts here and there. But Lucky, Cadpig, and Rolly were extremely homesick.

Back in London at the Thunderbolt set in the park, the place was crowded with dogs and their owners as Patch and the twins made their way through the crowd and up to the front near the stage.

"Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, pooches and pups of all ages, are you ready!?" A man came onstage to start the show, while the crowd cheered.

"Desperadoes cringe in fear, mighty Thunderbolt is here!" the man announced as Thunderbolt came out on stage and did his signature bark while the crowd cheered and took pictures.

"Well, what do you think?" Brock and Ann asked Patch, while smiling.

"I don't believe it, it's really him!" Patch was awestruck seeing Thunderbolt in person.

"And here's his sidekick extraordinaire, the ever trusty Lil' Lightning!" the man introduced the corgi who slide off the stage but came back up to Thunderbolt's side.

The twins noticed three female dogs were taken away by security after fawning over Thunderbolt, much to Lightning's jealousy. The twins actually felt kinda sorry for the corgi, as they knew from Kali that the sidekick characters were usually ignored.

"Alright everybody line up your dogs for the audition, we need to hear their best heroic bark!" the man announced.

One by one, dogs went up on stage to audition and gave their best bark, soon it was Patch's turn.

"You got this, Patch!" the twins told the adventurous puppy, showing they believed in him.

Patch was brought up on stage next to Thunderbolt, but he quickly became nervous as everybody was staring at him.

"Oh, No" the twins frowned, watching Patch from the sidelines and saw what had happened.

"What's the matter little fella, cat got your tongue?" Thunderbolt joked. Patch was still frozen as everyone continued staring at him.

"Come on, kid, we haven't got all year" Thunderbolt said impatiently.

Feeling pressured, Patch's bark came out as a squeak, causing everybody but the twins to laugh at him. Even Thunderbolt commented on how Patch's bark sounded like a squeaky toy. The twins then came up on stage to comfort Patch while some reporters took Thunderbolt's picture for the newspaper. Patch and the twins were caught up in the picture too.

"That's it folks, we'll announce the winner of the audition tomorrow. Have a fantastic day and remember to buy your pooch lots and lots of tasty kanine krunchies" the man announced, as the auditions were over and everyone left.

Patch and the twins were now left alone on stage.

"Well it could've been a lot worse" Ann said, trying to cheer up Patch.

"Yeah, you could've pulled a Whizzer" Brock mentioned of Patch's brother Whizzer's bladder control issue. 

"Nice work, Patch. Just brilliant" Patch told himself, feeling depressed.