Why Can't I Do Both?

During practice, the basketball team was running some drills while, Mr. Styles shouted orders. "Let's go, guys! Make it sharp! To the chest, come on! Pop it! Come on, guys. Step with it! Come on, move it! Let's go!" Come on, guys, focus! Focus. Get your head in the game! Move it!" Just then he realized his son wasn't there. He grabbed the ball before one of the team catches it. "Have you seen Harry?"

The player shook his head and looked at his coach. "No...sorry coach."

Zayn sighed wondering where Harry was because the game is next week. "Again, let's go."

What he didn't know that Harry is practicing with Ariana and Ally for the musical. He's also in detention. He's painting a box while Ariana sews some costumes. They both mouth the lyrics of their song they're going to sing and laughing.

Harry's POV

After detention, I raced to the locker room to get changed. I ran out when my dad blew his whistle. "That's it. Let's hit the showers. Good hustle. Let's see that in the game." He said.

Everyone was eyeing me like I did something wrong. What did I do? I went to my dad grabbing a ball. "I, uh, think I'm going to stay a while. Work on some free throws." He looked at me with a annoyed look.

"Since you missed practice, I think your team deserves a little effort from you today." He said walking away.

I started shooting hoops, doing lay ups, all the drills my dad told me. Suddenly I hear a voice. "Wow. So this your real stage." I looked over seeing Ariana walking over to me with a smile on her face. Becca went to sit at the bleachers in the gym.

"Yeah, I guess you could call it that. Or just a smelly gym." I passed the ball to her and she shot it to the basket. It went in. "Whoa! Don't tell me you're good at hoops, too." I said to her and she giggled. My god, that giggle.

"You know,, I once scored 41 points at a league championship game." She said proudly while holding the ball.

"No way." I said unconvinced.

"Mm-hmm. And on the same day, I invented the space shuttle and microwave popcorn."

"Oh! Microwave popcorn. Ha-ha. Funny." I faked laughed and grabbed the ball from her. We stood there in silence for awhile.

"I've been rehearsing with Ally." She said out of the blue.

"Me too. And by the way, I missed practice. So if I get kicked off it'll be on your conscience." I was about to shoot but she spoke up.

"Hey, I wasn't the one who told you..." I stopped her.

"Ariana, chill." She looks at me then the ball in my hands and smirks. She grabbed the ball pretending she stole it. She was teasing me with it. "Hey, that's traveling." I told her, but she didn't listen. She started to run. "No, that's really bad traveling." We ran around the gym until I got up behind her and picked her up and spun us around while she still has the ball in her hands. We laughed while we spun around.

"Miss! I'm sorry but this is a closed practice." Whoops. I forgot my dad is still in the building.

"Dad, practice is over." I told him so he could relax.

"Not until the last player leaves." He looked at Ariana then back at me. "Team rule."

Regret was written on Ariana's face when he heard my dad. "Oh. I'm sorry sir."

"Dad, this is Ariana Grande." I introduced. Ariana smiled and stoke out her hand for my dad.

"Ah, your detention buddy." He said handing me the ball and he turned to my father. "Nice meeting you, Coach Styles." He waved at me and ran off.

Ariana walked up to Becca. "Come on, let's go." She said as they both walked out of the gym.

"You as well, Miss Grande!" My dad shouted back.

"Dad, detention was my fault, not hers." I confessed.

"You haven't missed practice in three years. That girl shows up..." He tries to blame Ariana for all we've done.

"That girl is named Ariana Grande. She's very nice." I said. "And so is her sister."

"Helping you miss practice doesn't make her very nice. Not in my book or your team's." How could he say something like that?

"Dad, he's not a problem. she's just a girl!" I argued with him.

"But you're not just a guy, Harry! You're the team leader. What you do effects not only this team, but the entire school. And without you completely focused. We're not going to win next week. The championship games, they don't come along all the time." Is that all he thinks about?! The championship?! "They're something special."

"Yeah, a lot of things are special, Dad."

"But you're a playmaker. Not a singer, right?" Is he for real?!

"Did you think that maybe I could be both?" I asked.

"What?" He looks at me weird. I dropped the ball and I stormed off.

Normal POV

What Harry didn't know is that the entire team heard the full conversation from Ariana to Harry's dad. The next day, Harry and Ashton are in the library talking about the musical and the game. Harry is very quiet while Ashton is shouting.

"What spell has this elevated, IQ temptress girl cast that suddenly makes you want to be in a musical?"

"Look, I just did it. Who cares?"

"Who cares? How about your most loyal best friend?" Ashton shouted at his best friend.

"Quiet in here, Mr. Irwin?" The librarian whispered.

"It's him, Miss Falsaff, not me." Ashton put his hands up innocently. "Look, you're a hoops dude, not a musical singer person." Harry wasn't caring so he sat down with the book he needed but Ashton pulled it away from him. "Have you ever seen Michael Crawford on a cereal box?"

"Who's Michael Crawford?"

"Exactly my point. He was the Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. Now my mom, she's seen that musical 27 times, and put Michael Crawford's picture in our refrigerator." Harry looked at him weirdly. "Yeah, not on it, in it. So my point is, if you play basketball, you're going to end up on a cereal box. If you're in musical, you'll end up in my mom's refrigerator."

"Why in her refrigerator?"

"One of her crazy diet ideas. I won't attempt to understand the female mind. It's foreign territory. How can you except the rest of us to be focused on a game if you're off somewhere in leotards singing "Twinkle Town"?" Ashton ranted.

"No one said anything about leotards." Harry confessed.

"Not yet my friend, but just you wait." He looked at Harry. "Look, we need you, Captain! Big time!"

"Mr. Irwin." The librarian warned again.

"I tried to tell him, Miss Falsaff." He looked down at Harry. "Really tried." And he walked out. Harry was so confused about everything! He doesn't know who to go to, which side to pick, and what to do. He just wants to make everyone happy, but it feels impossible.