The First Poem

Chapter One: THE FIRST POEM

They come in the night

The nightmares

The howling

The screaming

The pain

They come in the day

The panic

The terror

The shame

Walls falling

Shields breaking

Humans crying

A girl weeping

Then--

After the pain

After the shock

After the sadness

The anger

It came

Then--

After the fury

After the rage

The numbness

It came

Giving up

Dying, but still alive

Until there's nothing left

Until there's nothing to be

The words formed under my quill as if by magic, seamlessly connecting and forming a poem. I preferred to call them stories, but officially, I dubbed them as poems. I closed my eyes, the words flooding through me.

I knew I looked like a wreck, with my bloodshot eyes and messy hair. I wore pajamas that would have usually made me cringe, only now I found that I didn't care.

He had thrown out my my clothes, my belongings, changing the lock until I couldn't even get into our house anymore. It wasn't even my house-- he always insisted on paying the bills. How I thought he was such a gentleman, how I thought he was so romantic.

How very wrong I was.

Because Ron had left me-- he had finally left me-- and everything was over.

Because was over. I had literally given up everything-- a chance to be a top Auror, discontinuing S.P.E.W to support him during his games, even Diana Long's friendship to date her former boyfriend. And if losing contact with my parents for all eternity except for phone calls every few months wasn't enough, I didn't know what was.

I had thought that this wouldn't happen, thought that these things couldn't happen. This wasn't supposed to happen-- after the War, after the Great Battle- this wasn't allowed to happen.

deserved to have a happy ending, didn't I? I had fought Death Eaters and survived, I had tracked down the Horcruxes. 

Then why couldn't I have a happy ending like I was supposed to? Why couldn't I have ridden off into the sunset, holding hands and kissing Ron?