CHAPTER 32

The Next Day

Jake, remembered the day he took Sarah with him during a dinner with his best friend. He remembered how happy and excited he was to spend the night with the two important people in his life. He remembered Gerald’s eyes when he saw her in his arms. He was so proud back then so proud that he was celebrating secretly when he saw a hint of envy in Gerald Anderson’s eyes. Deep inside him, he thought that at last I won over you. I have the most wonderful woman in my life and I love her so much. Yes, I won because I can love, unlike you who opted to have an arrange marriage for the reason that you can’t commit yourself to a loving relationship. At last I am better than you!  He said to himself, back then.

He proved himself wrong that night. The night turned out to be a realization. He can’t believe it but he saw a strong attraction between his girlfriend and best friend. An attraction they both denied because of him. He can remember the countless times he and Sarah argued because of Gerald.

“You know what; Jake you are so insecure and competitive. Gerald and I are not even attracted with each other. We actually hate each other’s butt. I can’t understand why you are so jealous of your own best friend. You are my boyfriend and it is you I am committed with, not him so stop it!” Sarah used to tell him that but amidst her assurance he still feels an undercurrent jealousy and insecurity. Now after years of denying it he now knows that even before, they are meant to be together. They were made for each other. Sarah was a different woman when she was with him. Yes, she tells him she loves him but she was so guarded, she always build a wall between them. He thought that was okay as long as she loves him, he will be fine. How wrong he was. He was so selfish that he forgot that in loving and in commitment both parties should be happy and contented. He was so focused on his love for her that he ignored the lonely eyes of the only woman he love so much. He wanted her so much that he can’t accept that the sparks between was long gone, he even forced himself to her just to prove to her that their love for each other was still strong, not knowing that it will actually end their relationship. He was so crazy about her that he can’t accept that she was really gone. That she moved on and made herself happy in another man’s arms. He couldn’t accept how life was so unfair. He can't grasped the idea that  the man he love and resented at the same time, his best friend and greatest competitor was the one who will have her for all of his life.

The day he discovered they were together was the day he promised himself that he will win this battle that in the end he will be the victorious one. He will do everything in his power to bring him down and bring her back in his life that he doesn’t mind if people will hate him. In his mind, he should win and no one will stop him.

Now, he was seated inside his car, feeling lonely and alone as ever. His actions failed him. He forgot that the words like humility and acceptance, forgiveness and letting go, are important ingredients in winning. Now, is the right time to correct all the wrongs to finally accept and let go. This way he knows that even if Sarah was out of his life, he knows that he still won because he accepted it and let go.  

After much thought, Jake went out of the car and entered the building he once worked his butt off to acquire. He entered Anderson Marketing Corporation headquarters to meet the man he hurt so much, his best friend and brother. 

 ******************************

Gerald was seated at one of the chairs in the Anderson Marketing Corporation Boardroom. He was done with one of the meetings scheduled for the day. He decided to stay for a while and reflect on things. In an hour or so he will be meeting with Jake, his best friend and brother after months of animosity.

When they were small boys they always talk about toy cars, robots, video games and the likes. They always share the same interest in everything one of them are in toys. During their teenage years, they constantly dreamed of their future. A future they seem to journey together. He was more on “I wanted to inherit Papa’s business and make it big. That way I can help more people and share to them the luxuries I experienced. I wanted their family to experience the good future, I had.” He told Jake one time when they were playing basketball in his parent’s basket ball court. “You seem to have a big dream, bro. You always wanted to be the hero. What is ironical is why can’t you be a hero to ladies who seems to worship your every step? You have honorable dreams for your father’s employee and their families. Why can’t you dream that for yourself and be a hero to the one right girl.  Why aren’t you dating one girl, Ge?  Instead, you choose to break their hearts. “Jake asked him in between dribbles. Gerald looked at him intently and shrugged his shoulder. “I guess I am better off to be a business man than a family man, Bro. I am my father’s son after all.” He told him.