3

I am an idiot, Adam thought, mentally scolded himself, why am I such a klutz?

It had only taken him four minutes and twenty-three seconds, according to Ben, to screw up.

Only four minutes and twenty-three seconds to knock someone out with his umbrella.

He had probably ruined the poor girl's day. Adam was left sitting in the nurse's office waiting for her to wake up as guilt's clawed hands slowly squeezed him like a lemon. Luckily, they had gotten her to the nurse's office before she passed out. Ben was better at knowing what to do in these situations and was looking as calm as ever. He sat in the waiting chair next to mine and tapped his pencil against his temple as he was studying for a history test. The stark white walls of the room were completely blank other than a row of gray countertops on the far side of the room. To the right, the receptionist's desks were cluttered with picture frames and coffee mugs, each complete with one large computer.

The boys had been waiting for about an hour, missing their first period entirely and a few minutes of their second.

The nurse had already offered that the boys could go back to class, but they politely declined. Adam had knocked this poor stranger out, that was his fault, and he was not leaving until he knew that she was alright. Bennet could've gone back to class but, he was insisted to stay with Adam. Maybe Ben thought that Adam was going to have a mental break down at any moment, and maybe he was right.

He had just knocked someone out. With an umbrella.

Ben knew as well as anyone, that when Adam made any small mistake, he had always veered towards beating himself up about it.

So yes, a mental breakdown could've happened.

Explaining what had happened got a variety of different responses from the nurse and her two receptionists. One receptionist gaped for a moment and the other covered her mouth to stifle a giggle, while the nurse just glared at Adam, making him squirm and fiddle with the hem of his gray t-shirt. Receptionist number one muttered something under her breath before going back to the computer in front of her. After that, the room had gone quiet except for the tapping of keyboard and scribbling sounds from Ben's pencil.

The nurse, who was surprisingly strong, had scooped up the unconscious girl from the chair and laid her on the bed in the back room. She then attempted to wake up the stranger, which to say the least, did not work.

Adam caught a few glances of the girl, now sprawled out lazily on the cot, trying to think of who she might be. The stranger had long, blonde hair that spilled off of the mattress and fair skin speckled in spontaneous freckles. The blaring shine of the lights embedded in the ceiling gave her a glowy, luminescent aura. The freckles continued onto her face, on the curve of her cheeks and across her small, slightly turned-up nose. If only he could see her eyes. That's what he remembered most about people, their eyes. 

In need of a distraction, Adam crossed the small reception office in about three paces and went up to the doorway of the room where the nurse was still fussing to wake up the girl. 

"What are you going to do?" He was curious if the school was going to call their guardians, hers for an update that she was in the nurse's office and mine and Ben's for skipping class to stay here.

The nurse said nothing for a moment as she shook the girl's shoulders once more. Nothing. She still wasn't waking up. If he couldn't see the rising and falling of her chest or the dust in the air moving with her deep breaths, Adam would've assumed she was dead. 

The nurse then took one last look at the unconscious girl, as if mentally willing her to awake, and sighed. Straightening, she looked to where he was leaning against the door frame.