2

Reese Wilkoks's day was already starting off great. Just dandy. Most people probably began their day with a nice cup of coffee or maybe a walk, but no, Reese started her's by getting hit in the head with an umbrella.

It was pouring rain outside, gray clouds covered the usually blue sky. The air crackled with energy as lightning periodically split the void. Water droplets fell like marbles, hard and fast. The shabby school administration team shunned the idea of technology so every student was expected to carry about sixty pounds of textbook material in their backpacks. Every surrounding school had paid for each child to own a laptop so the students wouldn't have to carry around so much, but Wutherton High didn't have the money to follow their lead. The highest level of electronic devices made available to the students was the handheld calculators present in all of the math and science classrooms, but besides that, everything was on paper.

The steady thrum of thunder interlaced itself with the heavy pounding of footsteps. Everyone was rushing to get inside of the school building, pushing past each other in sorry attempts to stay dry. Occasionally, a startled screech would erupt out of a less fortunate student that would trip and fall, causing them to get trampled by unaware teenagers. Usually, Reese would've loved to go outside in the rain but today her backpack was holding her precious books and those could not get wet. So, like everyone else, she sprinted for the doors. The mud splashed beneath her feet covering her old converse and staining the bottom of her jeans. She slowed down once she was under the large awning in front of the doors, looking down at her watch.

It was only seven thirty-eight, she had enough time.

Getting inside the school took forever since everyone wanted to get in at the same time and they all had to cram through two doors. Curse overcrowded schools, Reese thought as some giant of a teenager shoved her to the side. Trying not to get squished and holding the door for other people proved to be more difficult than she'd thought, but navigating the hallways was even worse. On the bright side, at least one could breathe in the hallways. She finally got through the doors heaving a huge sigh and looked for the science hall.

And that's when it hit her, literally. The umbrella connected with her head, startling her and causing her to lose her balance.

She shifted on her feet, catching herself before she could collide with the floor.

"Oh, geez, I am so sorry," someone said from behind her. Glancing back, whilst holding her now injured head, she found the culprit looking genuinely apologetic. He was red-faced from embarrassment and had his shoulders slumped from a lack of confidence. The stranger's dark hair was tousled and some of it now hung in front of his eyes. She had to crane her neck up to see his face due to their height difference.

"It's fine," Reese said, trying her best to hide the pain as the crowd of kids ambled around them, most of them annoyed at the inconvenience. Her head throbbed with every pulse as the world blurred around her.

"I am so sorry," the boy repeated, "Are you okay?" If he was uncomfortable with all of the curious glances from the surrounding students, he didn't show it.

"Yeah, no I'm all good" Reese insisted, still trying to brush it off. She dropped her hand that was rubbing the injured spot of her skull and finally met his gaze.

"Really?", he asked, cocking his head to the side, "You don't look too good." His face now manifested a look of worry.

It was then that Reese realized that she was swaying off balance. The ground tilting from side to side. She fumbled and gripped the nearest concrete column to steady herself but it wasn't much help as her knees grew weak.

"Oh gosh, um, let's get you to the nurse," the boy's voice echoed as if he was talking through a tunnel, as a wave of nausea hit her like a ton of bricks.

"Is she okay?" Another strange voice said. Reese clutched her now churning stomach. This was not good.

"Um, I don't think so." The boy with dark hair was now reaching out to hold her steady.

Her legs gave out, the blank, white tiled floor of the entrance hallway quickly approaching.

Suddenly, before her body hit the ground, an arm wrapped around her waist, hoisting her upright. Then they were moving, setting a brisk pace down the hallway. Her senses started to dull, her vision blurring even more, as all she could feel was the two pairs of arms now pulling her along by her elbows. One of the people dragging her used his other arm to lightly tap the student's shoulders and politely ask them to move out of the way. The other simply pushed the onlookers without warning, less civil but abundantly more effective.

White specks consumed the remainder of her sight as the trio fled the crowded hallway and finally stepped into a brightly lit room. Even in her dysfunctional state, she knew it was the nurse's office.

Reese heard a dramatic gasp followed by a muffled voice ordering her to sit down. She was then pressed into a hard plastic chair in what she assumed was the front waiting area. Slumping, her head continued to throb as she could hear her own pulse in her ears.

Reese heard concerned and accusing voices echoing around in the small room. Her mind went numb as she heard the boy from earlier try to frantically explain the situation. She tried to listen but her eyelids grew heavier making it hard to stay awake.

No, Reese thought, stay awake. But her body didn't obey and, giving up, she welcomed in the shadows of unconsciousness.