Chapter Two

-Chapter Two-

When Persephone awoke she didn’t realize where she was at first. She blinked a moment, and then realized she was back in bed. Charon must have brought her back after she’d feinted. Then she remembered what she’d been told and placed a light hand on her abdomen and one to her red lips… how was she going to tell Lord Hades?

                “You’re awake.” A voice said bluntly from the door way. She turned abruptly, which hurt her head, to see Hades walking towards her. “Where did you go yesterday?” He demanded as he paced in front of the large bed. Persephone gathered her thoughts. Yesterday? She’d been out a full day? “I said where did you go?” His cold stare fixed on her made her shiver uncomfortably.

                “I-I went to visit Charlene.” She whispered.

                “Why were you visiting that good for nothing witch who doesn’t know a thing about magic?” He raged.

                “I just wanted to see her.” She lied. She didn’t want Hades to know about the baby. Not yet anyways.

                “Hmm… well Charon said you feinted and he was bringing you back. Why did you feint?”

                “I don’t know… I think I was just tired.” She lied again and looked away from him, not noticing how his eyes softened.

                “Very well then… would you like something to eat?” She realized she was practically starving, even though that’s impossible for an immortal, and nodded. “Come with me to the dining room.” He took her arm and together they walked the long halls of the palace.

                “Thank you, Hades.” She said as he pulled out a chair for her to sit. When the servants brought out the food she felt fine, just dandy in fact, happy about the baby but scared of telling Hades. But when she looked down at the fruits in front of her, she suddenly felt sick again. “Excuse me, Lord Hades.” She gasped as she stood and ran for the nearest bathroom, throwing up the contents of her empty stomach.

                “Are you feeling alright, Seph?” Hades asked from behind her. She looked up at him with her wide, green eyes that were filled with pain.

                “Yes… but can you get me a glass of pomegranate juice?” She whispered.

                “Of course,” He was gone and back in record time, watching Persephone gulp the juice as it dribbled down her chin. “Are you sure you’re alright?” He quirked an awkward black brow as he asked and Persephone thanked the Gods her baby would be handsome.

                “I’m just fine… this helped me.” She said as she grasped the hand Hades offered her and got up from the black tiled floor. “I just need to lie down.” Hades nodded and took her upstairs, watching as she got into the bed.

                “If there’s anything you need, don’t hesitate to ask me… Seph.” He said her name softly and she looked up at him.

                “Thank you, Hades.” She replied, wishing desperately that she could call him something like a pet name. Like how Zeus and Hera called each other ‘honey’ or ‘dear’.

                “Yes… I’ll be going now… have to judge the dead and… such.” He said with a curt nod and left the room. Persephone sat awake for a long time… not knowing what to do.

                “It’s okay, baby.” She whispered. “Daddy will love you when I work up the courage to tell him.” She pressed her hand to her still flat stomach and sighed. “I love him, baby… I just don’t know how to say it to his face.” Right now she was wishing the baby would respond… just so she had someone to talk to.

                When Hades returned, he found Persephone sleeping with a hand on her stomach. He didn’t think anything of it and got ready to sleep himself. Before he shut off the dim lights in the room he leaned over and brushed a lock of dark hair out of her face and kissed her forehead.

                “I’ll always love you, Seph…” He whispered and turned out the lights. “Even if you don’t realize it.”