Chapter Six

-Chapter Six-     

“If I’ve told you once I’ve told you one thousand times, Mew.” Hades shouted. “If I get invited to one of my brother’s blasted celebrations, do not accept them!” He ran a hand through his already tangled hair.

“C’mon, Hades… he’s my father.” Persephone begged while stepping in front of the cowering little Cyclops boy. “It would be nice to see him.”

“You see him enough during the six months you’re not here.” He complained.

“Yes, but you don’t” She explained. “Let’s just go to the party.” She rubbed his forearm lightly. “We can tell them all about the baby!” Hades grumbled.

“Iris probably already knows and has told them all already.”

“I doubt that, she’s not a gossip. And my mother would have come down here and ripped your head off if she knew.” Persephone laughed which, in turn, made Hades laugh.

“Fine!” Persephone smirked at Hades, knowing she’d won. “We’ll go to the party.” Mew nodded and slipped out of the room.

“Don’t be so bitter!” Persephone slapped the back of his head as he sat down on his throne.

“Ow.” He said sarcastically. “How are you, Seph?” Persephone rubbed her swollen stomach with a silent pride.

“We’re fine.” She smiled at Hades. “How are you?”

“Same as always, but I’m not the pregnant one.” He smirked cautiously; they were both still so shy around each other. Persephone laughed and sat in her thrown next to him.

“No, but when you’re angry you act like it.”

“Very humorous, Sephie.” He said as he pulled out his book. “Go find something to wear to the party tomorrow.” He ordered lightly.

“Yes, master.” She replied with a small, shy smile. She walked up to their room and into the closet, searching for a dress that wasn’t too small already. She found one in the very back that hadn’t been worn in a very long time.

 It was the dress she’d been wearing the day Hades had kidnapped her. It was a perfect shade of light teal that made her hair look even darker. It had a silver, almost light blue, band underneath the bust line and it was crafted to look like flowers were weaving in and out of each other. The dress had a white, silk material underneath that went off one shoulder that were bunched in the middle, baring her arms, because two white daisies held them together. She quickly opened her jewelry trunk and dug through until she’d found what she’d been looking for. She ran her finger over the soft, enchanted petals on the tiara.  It was made so that the flowers would bloom forever and never wither or die. The daisies were tied together with green vines that were as soft as feathers. She placed it carefully on her head and looked in the mirror.

“I miss this.” She whispered. She stood from the floor and grabbed the dress off of the bed. She put it on and the memory came flooding back to her…

Persephone was standing in the meadow with the animals and nymphs as she did most every day, talking with them, singing with them. She smelled the pure air and sighed. She felt perfect, she felt content. Then the ground started shaking. Slowly at first, but then turned into something of an earthquake. The animals and nymphs ran away, back to their homes, their families, their safe havens. But Persephone was always curious and ready for an adventure, so she stayed where she was and waited, clutching the teal fabric of her new dress nervously. The earth gave a sickening crack, like the sound of a door after not being opened for a very long time. Then, in a blink of an eye, a coal black carriage sprang out of the ground being lead by two black stallions galloping towards her. A deathly pale hand reached out from behind the red curtains towards her. She was enthralled by it and reached out hers to grasp it. The hand pulled her inside and the carriage never stopped moving. She didn’t even see the face of her captor because as soon as he’d pulled her into his embrace she’d fallen into a deep slumber…

“This is what I was wearing when I met your daddy.” She whispered as she placed a hand on her ever growing bump. The baby kicked her hand and she smiled. “Is this what I should wear tomorrow?” Another soft yet strong kick reassured her she’d made the right decision. “I think so too.” She smiled and slipped the dress off, hanging it up in the dresser once more.

“Hello.” Hades voice came from the doorway. She turned abruptly.

“Oh! Hades!” She replied in surprise and tried to cover herself.

“Don’t,” He whispered as he came closer and put a hand on her shoulder. “I think you look beautiful.” He pulled her closer and pressed a soft, hesitant kiss on her lips.

“Thank you.” She whispered and pulled away slowly. “But I have to get dressed.” She pulled a night dress out of the closet and put it on.

“Charlene’s here.” Hades said as he tried to keep from blushing.

“Oh, well tell her to come in!”

“You sure you’re up for it?” He asked.

“Hades, I’m pregnant. I’m not dying.” She laughed as she got into bed, no use pretending to be a proper queen when Charlene was present.

“Very well then.” He opened the door and Charlene rushed in.

“How’s my favorite goddess today?” She asked with a broad smile as she rushed inside and placed a hand on the ‘baby’.

“Just fine.”

“I meant to ask you this the first time I saw you but I forgot.” Charlene thumped the side of her head lightly. “You know how forgetful I am!” Persephone nodded.

“That I do.” Hades said as he came to stand by Persephone awkwardly.

“Hush up.” Charlene chided him with a smile. “As I was saying… I can tell you the gender of your baby if you’d like.”

“You can? This soon?” Persephone wondered.

“You’re immortals, I could’ve told you the day you came in to see if you were pregnant.”

“Oh.”

“So what do you say? Would you like to know?” Persephone glanced at her husband who looked indifferent and unsure of himself.

“No.” She said softly. “I’d like to wait.” Hades sighed in relief and Persephone gave a sad smile. She knew that Hades was still nervous and new to the idea of becoming a father. She knew that if he knew the sex of the baby that it would become even more of a little god or goddess and that the thought scared him.

“Alrighty then! I guess I’ll just be the only one who knows!” Charlene chirped happily. “Happy pregnancy!” And then she was gone.

“She’s probably the weirdest being in the Underworld.” Hades mused, making Persephone giggle.

“I agree… and that’s counting the harpies!” Hades got into bed and turned the lights out.

“Why didn’t you want to know?” He asked as he put his arm around her and pulled her close.

“I just didn’t want to know.”

“It’s because of me, isn’t it?” He let out a sigh. “I’m sorry, Sephie… I was just nervous.”

“I know.” She turned over and smiled at him as she cuddled deeper into his surprisingly warm chest. “It’s okay.”

“Really?” He seemed surprised.

“Yes… we’ll know when he or she arrives.” She yawned.

“Sleep, Persephone. Sleep and dream of me… me and our child.” He crooned like the whistling of the winds outside their window, softer than the midnight howls of the griffins as they circled the skies above, and more loving than the songs of a mother… cradling her infant child to rest.