Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Ian’s POV

What a day. I just got home from school and I am honestly shocked that Austin said that he did not care that I was gay. To be truthful, I expected him to hit me. I threw my backpack over to the door and headed on into the house. “Daddy, I am home.”

“I am in the kitchen,” he answered.

I walked into the kitchen and saw him sitting at the bar with someone. “I’m sorry; I didn’t know that we had company.”

“It’s okay. Ian, have a seat. We need to talk.”

I hated those words. It always meant bad news was sure to follow. I took my seat beside my father and waited for him to talk. He took my hands and started talking.

“Ian, listen. This is my lawyer. He came by to let me know that your mother has filled for a divorce.”

I looked at him puzzled. Is this really happening? “Daddy?”

Suddenly the lawyer started talking. “Ian, I know that this is hard to take in, but there are some decisions that have to be made here today, and in the future. With your mother filling for a divorce, there is a possibility that she will want you to stay with her.”

“That is not going to happen. I am eighteen, and I can decide for myself where I will and will not stay,” I quickly stated.

“Thankfully, with you being eighteen, there is nothing that she can do about that. Nevertheless, there are always things that can come up in the courtroom that can cause problems. Your father told me that you have recently come out of the closet and this is what caused your mother to proceed with the divorce. She said that she did not want to house a homosexual in her house. Let me be the first to say that I am sorry about that.”

“Well technically, you were the second. My father told me first,” I said with a small chuckle.

“I know that you and your mother do not see eye to eye, but she could try something to try to get you to live with her. I suggest that we and I do mean us, go and see a psychologist and have him or her evaluate your mental state,” the lawyer said with a hint of worry in his voice.

“Are you kidding me, I am physically and mentally stable,” I almost yelled.

“I am not saying that you are not, I am just saying that it is something that needs to be done. If you and your father are proven to be mentally stable, there is nothing that your mother can say to, to put in blunt terms, say that you are lying and exaggerating,” the lawyer explained.

“I will go, but I am telling you, if she thinks that I am going to live with her, she is sadly mistaken. I will get a job and get my own place if I have to.” This was about to make me a nervous wreck. “Daddy, she cannot do this!” I yelled.

“Ian listen to me, everything is going to be okay. I promise I am not going to let anything happen to you,” my dad said holding my in a hug.

“Daddy, I am sorry. I should have waited to come out until I moved out. None if this would have happened if it were not for me. I am so sorry.” I could not help but to cry while saying this. I knew that it was my fault. My mother was going to ruin her marriage with my father.

“Ian,” the lawyer put his hand on my shoulder and turned me to face him, “listen to me, okay. This is not your fault.”

“Yes it is. This is all my fault.”

“No it is not. There is nothing wrong with you being gay. That is the way that you were born, and that is the way that you were intended to be. Nothing can change that. Nothing! You are perfect the way that you are. Do you understand that?”

Wow, this lawyer was something else. I always thought lawyers were only in it for the money, but he seems like he does it for the passion.