Chapter Five: Closer

The art work above does not belong to me, credit to the artist!

"Oh. My. God. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit." Her legs have her running before she can think a coherent thought. Uraraka finds herself back in the locker room grabbing her headphones. Just as she turns around, the normal fluorescent lights turn off, and emergency lights turn on. The brief second of darkness has Uraraka shaky. She jumps when the campus speakers crackle on. "TSUNAMI WATCH. PLEASE EVACUATE IN AN ORDERLY FASHION TO HIGH GROUND. EVERY FOOT INLAND MAY MAKE A DIFFERENCE. TSUNAMI WATCH. PLEASE EVACUATE IN AN ORDERLY FASHION TO HIGH GROUND...." a deafening robotic voice repeats. "Why wasn't there an earthquake?! The government can't now let people know! There's always a warning hours ahead of time! It could be less than an hour away!" As Uraraka processes the information, she remembers her parents, "They're out of the country on vacation so they should be okay." This thought relaxes her and allows for a more intelligible thought process. "Okay, okay. What should I do? Almost all the staff has already left the building and I'm the only student who stays after. Practically all public transportation must be shut down, and my apartment complex isn't safe, so going home isn't an option". As she tries to concentrate over the blaring sound system, she feels a hand on her shoulder. She startles and spins around quickly, slapping him in the face.

"OI ROUND-FACE!! WHAT THE HELL?!"

"BAKUGOU? OH NO, I'M SORRY! YOU STARTLED ME!"

"AND THAT WARRANTS A SLAP IN THE FACE?!"

"I KNOW, I KNOW, I'M SORRY."

"WHATEVER ROUND-FACE, I'M OUTTA HERE." He shouts as he walks toward the door.

"WAIT BAKUGOU! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!"

"HOME!"

"BUT THE TSUNAMI! IT'S DANGEROUS!"

"CHRIST! DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT! I LIVE UP HIGH!"

She pauses while staring at his enraged face.

"Can I– can I come–"

"YOU GOTTA SPEAK UP LOUDER THAN THAT!" Bakugou shouts, unable to hear over the PA system.

"CAN I COME WITH YOU!?"

He pauses with his hand on the doorknob. "Uraraka in my house? No, no, no. That could go badly. I can't let her get into my head more than she already has. I don't even know the girl and I couldn't stop thinking about her the whole day; she's such a distraction. Besides, she can fucking float her way to safety."

"HELL NO ROUND-FACE. FUCK OFF TO YOUR PLACE!" He yells as he opens the door. And as he does, rain pours in. "FUCK!" He shouts. "IT MUST BE A FUCKING TROPICAL STORM." The powerful gusts of wind are making the rain undulate in sheets of water.

"PLEASE BAKUGOU! THERE'S NO WAY I COULD GET TO MY PLACE!"

He turns around and sees her desperate expression. "She's right. She would be blown away immediately in this wind." He shuts the door, while rolling his eyes and says, "Fuck it. FINE. BUT YOU BETTER DO EXACTLY WHAT I SAY IF WE'RE GONNA GET OUT OF HERE IN TIME."

"OF COURSE! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK Y–!"

"ALRIGHT ALRIGHT. THAT'S ENOUGH!"

He pauses, for just a moment, then quickly makes his way toward her. He grabs her hand, pulls her into a supply closet, shuts the door, and flicks on the light. It's quiet enough that they can both hear each other without having to yell. She's startled from Bakugou's sudden movements and stares, wide eyed up at his face. His uniform is soaked and his hair is straight down, clinging to the sides of his head. He looks very different without the regular spiked style.

"Listen Round-Face, to get out of here, I need you to use your quirk to make yourself weightless, and grab onto my back. I'm going to sprint home, and I don't need you slowing me down. Hold on as tightly as you can because if you let go, you'll blow away, and I'm not gonna chase you down." Uraraka swallows and nods her head in compliance.

"Alright, let's go," he says as he opens the door. She presses her fingertips to her chest and starts to float upwards. He is quick to catch her by the waist so she doesn't hit the ceiling. For moment, they stand there, awkwardly looking at each other. She raises her eyebrows and smiles. Embarrassed he frowns and looks away while putting her back on the ground, still making sure to hold on firmly.

"Climb around me and get on my back."

Uraraka nods again and does just that. As she jumps onto his back, she raps her legs around his torso squeezing uncomfortably hard. She then places her arms around his shoulders.

"Okay, I'm ready," she says.

Bakugou steadies her more by taking her thighs in each hand. The combination her soft skin and toned legs, once again, makes his pants feel quite uncomfortable, so he quickly starts for the exit. He reaches for the handle, turns it slowly and opens it to reveal the bombardment outside. With no time to waste, he readies himself, and sprints out into the storm. To his surprise, it's takes almost no effort to carry her. He knew that her quirk would make her weightless, but he was still uneasy about how well his plan would work. Uraraka buries her face into the back of his neck, and the feeling of her hot breath on his skin makes him want to close his eyes and let his head roll back. Her legs and arms tense around him as the freezing rain batters them. Bakugou is running full speed at this point, but the water getting in his eyes is making it hard for him to see. The wind pushes the two off balance, but he manages to keep running forward. At every jostle, Uraraka squeezes tighter and nuzzles her face closer to his neck. Occasionally, he feels her eyelashes brush against his skin, and the sensation of warmth from that single spot radiates throughout his entire body. Bakugou readjusts his hold on her legs and the feeling of his rough hands against her soft skin intensifies the butterflies in her stomach. He grits his teeth and keeps pushing on through the blankets of rain. Uraraka moves in close to his ear.

"Are we close?" she whispers in a wavering voice as her lips lightly brush against his ear.

"Soon!" He shouts into the wind.

The rain picks up and so does Bakugou. He's running as fast as he can through streets and yards. Many cars have been abandoned on the street, their owners trying to escape the killer wave. Before long, Bakugou is running up the long steep steps to his house. Once they get to the door, Uraraka reverses her quirk and drops down. Bakugou fumbles through his pocket for the keys, grabs them, and shakily opens the door. They stumble in and kick the door shut before slumping to the ground, frozen and exhausted.

        I can't believe we're almost at 100 reads!! I'm so excited! Thank you so much to the people reading my story! I'm feeling super motivated to continue and a little antsy to move Bakugou and Uraraka along so a little something might happen next chapter 😏...I don't know though. See you next time 💕