CHAPTER 7

Jessica was hesitant to accept Mary's help. But what other choice did she have? She would have gone to Guy for help, a headache she didn't want to deal with. But despite his nagging, she'd have faith in his ability to identify the problem after the use of elbow grease and muscle. She doesn't know Mary. How could she help? 

"Since it's just me and you, how about you fill me in on this Dawnbreaker?"

"If I do, is it revenge you're looking for?"

"Is that important?"

"It's a distraction."

"And why's that?"

"Because you're not going to find him anytime soon."

"You know something I don't?"

"You used your ring to send him somewhere in time, so in a way he's trapped, for now. I can tell you he does not work alone. What initially attacked Casey and killed the Doom Patrol was not Dawnbreaker anyway. There is someone after the sentient being Danny the street, another sentient being that can jump from human to human instead of objects and places like Danny can."

"So you want my help to find this sentient being and stop him?"

"We will both get what we want at the end of all of this. Plus, didn't you promise Casey you would?"

It was a store crunched between two larger buildings in the middle of the city. An antique shop easily overlooked. Jessica followed Mary toward the front door. She remembered passing this shop on many occasions but never giving it a second look. Not very fond of things too old and sold in rustic looking shops, they tend to be expensive items and easily breakable.

A bell rang as the door opened. It was tight squeeze inside, even more so once the door behind them closed. The walls from the ceiling to the floor stood decorated with books and piles of rolled up scrolls. Mary knew exactly where to go as she walked down one of the many razor thin aisles. The shelves are about shoulder length apart, with a few extra inches to walk down, she and Jessica positioned themselves at an angle in order to move forward and get where they needed to go.

Mary made a couple more turns until they'd finally reached the end.

Jessica's eyes widen in response to the back of the antique shop and how much bigger it is here compare to when they first entered. "What is this place?"

Mary responded with a ring of a bell sitting in the center of the counter.

Out from behind the curtain of beads entered a woman with long black hair. She wore a silk rose colored dress, her neck decorated with gold necklaces, rings on all her fingers, and bracelets around her wrists. "Mary." she said with a devious smile and slight surprise in her tone. "You are my Mary, aren't you?"

Mary teased a smile. "Sorry, I'm not. But I know you and the type of business you run, Madame Xanadu. I also know the history between you and your Mary."

Her suspicion aroused, Madame Xanadue's glare tightened as she slowly eyed Mary up and down.

"And the fact that your latest check-in is coming up at the end of the month makes this visit go unquestioned."

"You're a Collector."

"I am."

"I have not missed a check-in yet and I do not plan on missing one. And the fact that a Collector is here this early means you want something from me. Does it have something to do with who you've brought with you?"