Daniel Seavey: Blue

This was requested by annabseavey

Anna: I had a lot of fun writing this, I hope it's what you wanted! I decreased the grade from 3rd Grade to Kindergarten just to add pureness and innocence to Harper and Daniel. I love you, sis <3

Sorry that it's kinda short...

Harper walked into her Kindergarten classroom. It was like any other day: she put her backpack in her cubby, grabbed her crayons, and sat down.

She was immediately greeted by her friends and classmates.

"Hello, Harper!" said one.

"Good morning Harper!" said another.

She always responded in an equally energetic and excited tone. "Hi, everyone!" she said, opening her box of crayons.

It appeared as if Harper was perfectly content in her Kindergarten life, but this was not the case. Every so-called friendship that she made made her feel worse and worse. They weren't relationships at all. They were forced. They were shallow.

Harper yearned for something more, something deeper, in order to satisfy her need for true companionship. She grabbed a coloring sheet from the center of the table, and went to town with her crayons.

Her favorite crayon color, a bright blue one, covered the majority of the page. The crayon itself was well-loved. The paper label was completely gone off of it, and the tip was smooth instead of pointy.

Harper didn't care about it's condition; she loved that crayon. The color reminded her of something, though she couldn't quite place what it was. Nevertheless, she was certain that it, whatever it was, was beautiful.

...

Soon, Harper completed her drawing, and turned it in to her teacher. She grabbed a blank sheet of construction paper, and sat back down at the table. Before she had even picked out her first color, a boy came up behind her.

"H-hello, Harper," he said. "Can I sit here?" Harper looked over her shoulder at the boy.

"Sure, Daniel!" she replied. He sat down in the seat right next to her.

Harper and Daniel never really talked to each other. Daniel never really talked to anyone, at all. He was definitely on the quiet side, which made it harder for him to make friends. Harper hardly ever acknowledged his existence. This wasn't because she was rude or anything, she just genuinely forgot he existed sometimes.

The fact that he asked to sit by her came as a bit of a surprise. Harper had no idea what was going on.

Daniel grabbed a coloring sheet and pulled out his box of crayons, a measly set of 24 Cra-Z-Arts; nothing compared to Harp's collection of 120 Crayolas. Of course, Harper didn't judge other children by their crayons, but she saw the disgust on the faces of her other table mates.

Both children colored for a minute or so, intensely focused on their artwork. After a while though, Daniel worked up the courage to speak again.

"Harper," he said, nervously, "may I borrow your pretty blue crayon?"

Hearing this question made Harper want to throw up. She never let anyone touch her favorite crayon, ever.

Harper planned on denying this request, but then she turned her head, and met Daniel's gaze. His eyes were beautiful, full of life, and most importantly, the exact same color as her crayon.

"Um, sure," said Harper, in a trance-like state. She picked up the crayon and handed it to him, not daring to look away from his gorgeous eyes. It was the most intimate moment Harper had ever experienced. It was strange and new to her, but not unenjoyable.

"Thank you!" said Daniel, grinning. "I'll take good care of it." Immediately, he turned back to his paper, and continued coloring. "Almost done... Done!" he said. He picked up the drawing and held it up for Harper to see. "Do you like it? It's a picture of you!" Daniel had used the blue crayon to color her hair bow.

"Thanks, I love it!" replied Harper. Her heart fluttered a little. "I think we're gonna be best friends!"