Corbyn Besson: Life or Death

For liabesson . You're my queen. I literally love you.

Sorry that I changed your prompt a little bit. I always end up doing that. It's a bad habit.

This takes place three (ish) years from today.

Bella drove her car up to the curb in front of the office building. It was 48 stories, in L.A., and cost millions of dollars to build.

A valet guy was waiting to take her car. "Hello, Miss Bella!" he said, after opening the door. She handed him her keys.

"Good morning, Bertram," she replied as she stepped out of the car, grabbing her briefcase. She walked up onto the sidewalk, and then through the front doors, leaving Bertram to go park her car.

Once inside, she looked around at the beautiful fountains, marble decor, and high ceiling. It was absolutely gorgeous. I can't believe I work here, she thought.

Bella payed close attention to the professional clicking of her stilettos on the floor as she made her way over to the elevator. She pressed the up arrow button, and the door opened instantly. Her office was on the 47th floor; she pressed the 47 button and felt the elevator shake a little as it began moving.

It was a little noisier than usual, that day.

Surprisingly, the elevator stopped at level 10. The door opened to reveal Corbyn Besson, standing with a coffee and a bagel, waiting to get on.

...

Bella and Corbyn had an extensive history together. As children, their families lived in the same subdivision. The two of them were constantly together, and were even in the same graduating class.

Halfway through high school, Corbyn left for L.A. to pursue his dream of being in a band. That's when Why Don't We formed.

It took about six years, but the band became a smashing success. Corbyn, Jonah, Jack, Zach, and Daniel turned into some of the worlds most famous, influential, and powerful people.

Of course, they didn't get that way by themselves. After high school, Bella went on to get a business degree, and from there, Corbyn recruited her to be the band's new manager. She was a big reason for the band's insane popularity. Now, Bella was in charge of everything: merch, tours, security, new music, etc...

She and Corbyn were constantly busy, yet they still found plenty of time to hang out, together.

...

"Hey, Bella!" said Corbyn as he got on the elevator. "What's poppin'?"

"Not much, just going to check on that new merch design. That coffee smells good, can I try it?" He handed it to her and she took a sip. "Dang, this is really good."

"I know, right?" said Corbyn, taking the cup back. "The level 10 Starbucks is really killing it, today."

"Eh, the level 32 one's still my favorite," replied Bella.

All of a sudden the elevator came to a screeching halt. Corbyn dropped his bagel and spilled his coffee, a bit. "Woahhhh," he said. "We're stuck."

"No we're not!" said Bella. "I'm sure we can get out..." She tried to pull open the door, but it was no use.

"Admit it, Bella. We're stuck."

"Ugh, fine!" she said, laughing. She sat down on the floor, and motioned for Corbyn to sit across from her. She pulled out her phone.

There was no charge. Huh, I must have forgotten to charge it last night. "Corbyn, do you have your phone on you?" asked Bella. "Mine's dead."

"No, mine's in my office."

Bella laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. "Oh well. Guess we're stuck here forever."

Corbyn made a sarcastic face and pushed the alarm button. An automated voice in the elevator said "Help will be here shortly."

"Great!" said Bella. "We're gonna die on here! And we don't even have any food because you dropped your bagel!"

"Ha!" replied Corbyn. "You think that's gonna stop me?" He took a big bite out of his bagel and Bella watched in disgust.

"Cool, now you're gonna get sick, Corb."

"Worth it," he replied.

The two sat in silence for a while. Occasionally, Corbyn would take a bite of his bagel or a sip of his coffee.

After about five minutes, he spoke again. "Y'know, Bella. This is kind of a metaphor."

"No metaphors on the elevator, please," she replied.

"Bella, I'm serious."

"Fine. Elaborate."

"Well," continued Corbyn. "We're stuck..."

Bella made a face of confusion. She began mindlessly playing with the hem of her dress, with her fingers. "I still don't get it."

Corbyn exhaled deeply; he knew he was taking a risk. "We're not only stuck on the elevator, we're stuck in real life, too. In our relationship, I mean."

"Oh..."

"Lately, I've been thinking. What if we were... more than friends? You're single, I'm single; there's nothing stopping us."

Bella was shocked. She definitely wasn't expecting this. "Corbyn! Do you really want to risk ruining a perfect friendship?" she teased.

"Yeah, I do actually," he replied. "I really like you, but I've always been to afraid to tell you that. I guess the fact that we're in a life or death situation changes that."

Bella laughed. "It's not life or death!"

"Maybe the elevator thing isn't, but the status of our relationship certainly is."

She was quiet for a while, but a smile soon creeped onto her face. "Well..." she said. All of a sudden, she was cut off by a loud banging coming from somewhere in the elevator shaft. The elevator moved up, and the doors opened. Bella and Corbyn stood up and got out.

"We're free! Bye, Corbyn!" said Bella, beginning to walk down the hallway.

"Hey!" he yelled laughing. "You didn't give me an answer!"

Bella walked back over, and gently pressed her lips against his.

That's the moment that Corbyn learned what the 'life' part of 'life and death' felt like.

First person to comment on the Fault In Our Stars reference gets a shoutout on my message board or something, idk.

Ily all.