Chapter 10

"So you and your uncles are pretty close huh?" 

James asked me as we walked to a nearby park. After talking to James for about 20 minutes, I realized I was missing out on a great guy. My uncle on the other hand wasn't very happy when I asked if I could meet him at home since I wanted to spend the rest of the day with James.

 "Yeah , I guess you could say that. They're like the older brothers I always wanted but never had."

 "Me and my uncle Mario are really close too" 

He said smiling as if he was remembering happier times. When we arrived at the park, I noticed it was lonely since there was only a few families. I got my phone out and checked the time. It was 6:42.

 "Time flies huh?" James asked when he saw me check the time. 

"I would say so, it's been 3 hours and it felt like 30 minutes." I said chuckling. "Maybe you should go back to your hotel, I know you're tired because of practice and your games, you need to rest." I said not really meaning it because if it was up to me, I'd stay here with James until it was 4 in the morning. 

"Don't worry about it, even if I go back to the hotel, I won't sleep because I won't be able to stop thinking about you." He said as he smirked at me. I was really praying that my foundation was doing a good job at hiding the blush that was creeping up on my face. 

Just as I was about to tell James how cute that was, my phone began to ring. "So like, you get a boyfriend and forget about your uncles or what's up?" My uncle Enrico blared before I even got a chance to say hello. "Uh, what do you mean?" I say suddenly feeling bad. "We were supposed to spend the day together and now it's almost 7 pm and you haven't been home all day." He said which made my heart hurt just a little. "I'm sorry, I'll be home soon, I promise.". "Don't even worry about it, I'm going out with some friends and Thiago is already back with the team. So much for a day of catching up with my niece." And with that, he hung up. 

"Is everything alright? Do you need to go home already?" James asked and just the sound of his concerned voice made me feel a bit better. 

"Yeah, no worries. That was just my uncle. I should get going home though, I've been so busy these past few days and I'm so tired." I said with a playful smile. I felt bad for lying to James. but I knew that if I hurried up, I would get home just in time to catch my uncle Enrico to apologize. He had planned a whole day out and I pretty much ruined it. 

"Yeah okay sure, go home and rest, I'll see you soon." James said as he hugged me goodbye. 

As much as I wanted to stay longer with James, I knew the right thing was going home to at least try and fix things with my uncle. As I drove home, I knew that if I continued to talk to James, I had to also make time for my family. I didn't even know how things with James would turn out, but I hoped they would turn out good, for the summer at least.