Chapter Twenty One

I landed on my face as I skidded to a stop. I pushed myself up, mildly shaken. "Dare!"

We were on patrol. I had stopped in the middle of my run when I noticed the super standing in the street. Dare teleported beside me as Head Rush raced back around the block to help me up. My chin was bleeding, but I could barely feel any pain thanks to the adrenaline.

Dare eyed the super like he was insane. In all fairness, he probably was. The man had picked up a car, holding it over his head. I just hoped he didn't throw it at us. There was no mask or suit on the man. He looked fairly normal, minus his huge build and the fact he was foaming at the mouth. It reminded me of a wild animal.

"Who are you?" Dare questioned, tilting his head.

The man's eyes gleamed with rage. "My name is Pierce! You robbed my store three months ago. I'm here to give you a taste of your own medicine."

I glanced over at Dare. "Nice going." Clearing my throat, I shouted, "Why wait until now to confront Dare?"

"I just got my abilities," the man replied, his voice more animalistic than human. It hurt my ears to listen, but when I registered what he said, it nearly made my heart stop.

I knew that nobody in Dark Skies had a full grasp on their abilities, not even Samantha. I watched Kit's powers grow stronger each day, but it was clear that he was struggling. I just didn't expect that some people affected by the chemical spill were still developing their abilities. That was a huge problem.

"I'm sorry about that," Dare called out. "What did I steal? I'll pay it back."

"What?" Head Rush muttered. He elbowed me. "Is he serious?"

"I think so," I whispered back, gawking at Dare.

"It's too late!" Pierce shouted. "I lost my job because of you. Then my girlfriend dumped me because I was unemployed. You ruined my life!"

Head Rush snorted. "Are you serious?"

Oh no.

"I mean, that sucks," he continued. "But seriously? You stalked Dare just for this?"

"I have to make you two pay," Pierce muttered to himself. "You're his friends."

I almost felt bad. This man was clearly in need of some help, and I wanted to help him. I just wasn't sure he was going to let me.

I cleared my throat, taking a few slow steps forward with my hands raised to my shoulders. "Pierce, I know you don't want to hurt anybody. Think about your future. Let me help you."

Pierce stared at me with wild eyes. He started to lower the car to the ground. I stopped as he set it down, then breathed a small sigh of relief. Then he charged forward, jumping over the hood of the car in one jump.

I ran passed him before he could grab me. Dare teleported beside me with Head Rush. It was too easy. Dare let out a snicker as Pierce spun around to face us.

Dare suddenly felt overconfident. He teleported to Pierce's side and mocked him by saying, "You're too slow!"

Pierce's hand shot out at lightning speed, gripping Dare by the throat. I glanced at Head Rush as Pierce slammed Dare into the ground. I winced. He'd definitely need to get in a healing pod when we took Pierce down.