Chapter VI

On our way home, Jill spots an ice cream parlor. Her eyes begin to sparkle.

"Sissy!" she yells.

I hide my face in the sweater I wear, and hide a smile.

"Sure" I say.

Jill grabs my hand and runs inside. She immediately begins to look at the menu.

"What'll it be?" says a guy standing behind the counter.

Don't stare.

Jill takes her time and looks at the menu some more. "I want uh.. I'll have the uh.." she can't decide. "Sissy you order first" she says.

"I'll just have a milkshake.. Strawberry" I say. The guy at the counter stares at my face for a while. He smiles.

"And for the little one?" he asks.

Jill gives him a frown, "Hey! I'm fourteen! I'm practically an adult" she says. The guy at the counter begins to laugh. "Sorry, and what will the young lady be having tonight?". Jill's frown becomes a smile. "Can I have a banana split? But instead of whip cream, I want extra cherries."

"Sure thing" he says. Once again, the counter guy flashes a smile at me..

It's not that bad..

We take our seat and begin to talk.

"Hey sissy?"

"Ya?"

She begins to stare at me.

Jill...

"He's cute, don't you think?" she asks. I try covering my red face with my sweater. "Jill, I'm not interested.." I say. "I didn't say you had to be" she says, "but that doesn't mean you can't have a friend" she gives me an innocent, corny smile.

I don't need friends ,Jill..

"Nows your chance!" she whispers loudly. I roll my eyes at what she says.. The counter guy comes with our orders. "One strawberry milkshake, and one banana split, no whip cream, extra cherries" he says, placing our orders on the table. "Thank you" I whisper. Once more, he smiles.

Friends...?

"You're very welcome" he says, "Enjoy". "Thanks! we will!" yells Jill.

I stare at my milkshake, and hardly blink.

Friends..

"Are you okay sissy?" asks Jill.

I'm never okay, Jill..

"I'm okay, Jill" I flash a smile at her.

"Are you sure?" she asks

No..

"I'm sure" I laugh.

It's silent.. it's always silent, so quiet all the time. Jill eats her banana split in record time. I hardly touch my milkshake, but it starts getting late, so I take what I don't finish.

We've been here for over an hour.

"Goodbye, thank you for the ice cream" says Jill.

"No problem" he replies, "Come again".

Friends..

The walk home is cold and dark. A couple street lights light the way home. It's quiet for most of the time. Jill breaks the silence. Jill always breaks the silence.

"Why don't you like people?" asks Jill.

My eyes are on Jill, we keep walking.

"Jill?" I ask

"Ya?"

My smile keeps consistent, "I don't hate people" I say.

"Sissy, you don't have any friends." I begin laughing.

I don't have any friends, she's right.

"I don't think I need friends.. I've been fine so far, don't you think?" I say. "Ya but.. Everyone needs friends."

She's right..

"Am I your friend?" she asks

"You're my sister" I reply

A sudden frown appears on Jill's face. "Well, you're my friend" she says.

Friends..

Our conversation comes to an end. We're home.

It's loud.. there's glass everywhere... moms drinking again..