Chapter IX

The park is cold, dark, and lonely. I look around for a little bit, and catch my breath. I sit on a cold, rusty swing, and look up. Clouds cover most of the sky. I begin to feel anxious and lonely. Part of me wants to run to Jill.. And the other part of me doesn't. The other part of me never wants to go home. Sudden anger begins to fuel my veins.

I feel like breaking the ground, I feel like shooting the sky, until it shatters. I wave my fists in the air, and kick the ground. And suddenly, my anger is paused by the sound of metal scraping the ground. I walk towards the sound, and see a hungry dog. A mutt. I reach for the hungry dog, but stop myself halfway.

Everything you touch, dies.

That thought replays in my head. Over and over and over... until the memories dig their way up from long ago..

The summer after eight grade, I met a boy. Ally Haze. Ally was a year older than me, and suffered from severe depression. His mother was also a drunk, and his father walked out of his life before he was even born. Ally had an older brother, but never mentioned his name to me.. Anyways, we had spent the whole summer together. He was my first friend.

One day, Ally got sick and asked me to come over. "I can't do anything Alondra... can you come over?" he asked me over the phone.

"I don't know" I said.

"Do you have something you need to do?" his voice had a hint of disappointment.

"My dad wants me to go with him to run some errands. I'll try and make it, okay?"

"Ya... that's fine" he said

"Ally-"

Ally hung up before I could say anything else. I felt guilt in my chest. I rushed out the door with dad, and hurried through the errands. The errands were random and made no sense. Buy blue paint, buy milk and eggs, return books, buy movies for Jill,etc. The list went on and on. It took us about three hours, only because they had ran out of the paint we wanted, and we couldn't find Jill's movies. By the time we finished, the moon was out, along with the stars. Guilt consumed me at the thought of Ally. I thought a little, and asked my father to take me back to the store. I bought some chips and candy. I also bought some B-movies from the five-dollar rack. I figured if I couldn't make it earlier, I'd make it a movie night.

It was ten o'clock by the time we had finished the errands. By this time, Ally's mom would have been passed out drunk on the couch. They always kept a spare key in their flower pot, but I didn't need one because Ally had given me his key that I wore around my neck.

When I got to his house, I opened the door and went upstairs. His house was quiet.. his house was always quiet. Everyone was asleep, so I made my steps as quiet as possible. I creeped into Ally's room, and saw him passed out on his bed. I placed the bag of snacks and movies on the floor, and headed for the door.

"Alondra?" Ally's head rose from his pillow.

"I'm sorry Ally, I didn't mean to wake you up" I said.

Ally smiled and stared at the bag, "Watcha got?" he asked. I lifted the bag, and dumped the snacks and movies onto the bed.

"Don't leave" he said, "let's watch these movies".

"Are you sure?" I asked, "I did wake you up, I mean.."

"You didn't wake me up, I wasn't even asleep" he said.

I smiled and sat next to him, we watched movies all night and passed out. The next morning, I woke up on the floor. I shot up and checked the time. 12:34 p. m.