Chapter 4

I run over to Kiki’s car and explain to her everything that had just occured. She was mind blown, as was I. She drives me to her house, then I call my mom.

“Hey, mom," I say softly, hoping she's not going to yell at me.

“Why we’re you guys late getting home,” she questions me.

I sigh as I say, “We were hungry after the movie and stopped by McDonald’s. I’m sorry we worried you. Besides, we’re at Kiki’s right now. I’m heading to bed.”

She sighs as she says, “Fine. But try to manage your time a bit better next time, please. With the Mafia that may be in Indiana, I don’t want you to be out late. Now, get to bed. Goodnight, I love you.”

“Love you, too. Bye," I say as I hang up the phone and put it on my nightstand.

I sigh as I sit on the edge of my bed. I have to work tomorrow, yet it’s so late. I continue to think to myself, as I begin to dread what may lead to tomorrow. I undress only to take a shower, after I wipe off all my makeup, of course.

Once I get out of the shower, I see Kiki sitting on my bed, I wrap my robe around me as I walk out of the bathroom. I glance over at her as I dry my hair.

“Everything okay," I question as I become concerned.

Kiki looks up at me and smiles sheepishly as she says, “Yeah, of course. I just came in to say, goodnight.”

I nod slowly, not believing her response, as I say, “Oh okay. Um, are you sure there isn’t anything you wanted to talk about? You look puzzled.”

She sighs as she looks down and says, “I can’t help but think about the offer they gave you. Circus, you don’t realize how many people want this opportunity. You get rid of the bad people and get paid loads of money. You have the opportunity of a lifetime! Unlike me. I’m the actual Italian and yet, you get an invitation.”

I shake my head as I say, feeling guilty, “I didn’t think of it that way, Kiki. And I’m sorry. You’re right. You’re more of an Italian than me. I mean, your grandparents on your father’s side used to be in a Mafia back in Italy. It’s unfair, I know. Look, there’s too many reasons as to why I won’t join them. I can’t possibly do that.”

Kiki jumps up as she freaks out by my decision.

“No! You have to join," Kiki exclaims.

I freeze as I become shocked to her sudden response.

"Look, forget about me. This is your time to live a better life. You’ll be a huge success in life and I want what’s best for you and your future. You’re smart, flexible, and a total badass. Mafia basically describes you! Circus, think it over. At least take up their offer by joining a meeting. You’ll get answers and find out more about your grandma," Kiki states as she makes a fair point.

I sigh as I say, “Fine. You have a point, so, I’ll think about it. Also, Mikey, the guy I was talking to, you’d really be interested in him. As for me, I think I found myself a new target, only if I get myself involved."

Kiki smiles as she shakes her head, then I wink as I say, "He's a bad boy, too. Which makes things even more interesting. Though, he's more of the strong, silent type. At least so far."

We both end up laughing and talking about boys. Finally, I yawn as I stretch.

"Well, you should get to bed. You’ll have to leave for work soon and I don’t want you to be too tired," I say softly as I finish drying my hair.

Kiki nods, then walks over to me for a quick hug.

“Goodnight, love yah, cuz.”

I smile softly as I say, “Goodnight, Kiki. Love yah.”