Chapter 69

Sylas peeks around the corner only to find his grandma sitting in the booth on the other side of the doors. His grandma carefully stands up only to embrace him in her arms. She’s a little shorter than me and looks oh so sweet.

“Grams, I don’t think I really need to make an introduction, though, this is my girlfriend. You remember Circus, right,” Sylas speaks gently towards her.

She nods as she grins from ear to ear. I smile as she puts out her hand, then I carefully take her hand into mine.

“It’s been a while, sweetie. Good to see you again. My word, you look just like your grandmother. You definitely have her eyes and her smile. You look beautiful, sweetie,” she speaks happily.

I smile brightly as I giggle softly.

“Thank you, mam. I appreciate that. In fact, an old friend of hers gave me a similar compliment no too long ago. I’m glad to know I resemble her in some way though,” I speak softly.

Sylas sits on the inside of the booth as he checks out the menu.

“This friend of hers, you’re not referring to Cristian, are you,” she questions unsurely as she takes her seat once again.

I smirk as I take my seat beside Sylas.

“Yes, mam. He’s the one who said so,” I answer in a calmer tone.

“Oh, sweetheart, you don’t have to be so proper. You can call me Aggie. As far as Cristian goes, well, it’s been a while since I’ve seen him. How’s he doing? Oh! What about his grandson, uh, Luka, was it,” she insists before questioning me again.

Aggie seems to be a sweet woman. She’s understanding, too. 

I giggle softly before answering, “Cristian seems to be doing well. And yes, Luca’s doing great, too. As far as Matteo goes, my goodness, it’s been a while since I’ve seen him. I told Luca to tell him, hi, for me, but other than that, I know nothing else of him or his whereabouts.”

With my last sentence, Sylas grabs my hand only to then grip it tight in his hand, under the table. I glance over at him as Aggie waves over the waiter. Sylas shakes his head, alerting me not to say anymore about the Amantes. I nod before looking down, feeling slightly upset by speaking too much. Sylas lets go of my hand only to rub my thigh gently.

“So, just how long have you two been dating? Better question, how long have you kept this from me, Kai,” Aggie questions, sounding a bit agitated towards the end.

Sylas chuckles nervously as he rubs the back of his neck.

“Well, you see, Grams, uh, it hasn’t been all that long. But...” Sylas trails off, seeming quite belittled by her.

I sigh softly as I shake my head, then I smile softly as I look over at Aggie.

“Aggie, I’m going to be honest, it’s been about a week, but I made him promise that we wouldn’t tell anyone, that included you. A lot has happened within that time and I swear, there hasn’t been a moment we haven’t been together,” I speak softly, hoping to smooth things over.

Aggie wore a stern looking face before she grins from ear to ear again.

“Well! This is great news! Seems you finally got your wish, Kai. Circus, you wouldn’t believe just how much this boy loves you. He’d come home everyday, constantly talking about you, and I’ll admit, at times, it sounded stalkerish, but I made sure he wouldn’t harm you. His friend, Mikey, was always with him, they’d simply keep an eye on you every now and again. At least he meant well and all the sweet things he’d say, oh, just adorable! I remember when you kids were very young and your grandma and I would send you two outside to play. I think I have pictures at home of some of those times. If you’d like, maybe after lunch, you and I can take my car back to the house, gives us time to talk. Then I can show you all the embarrassing photos of him. Oh and you, too, of course,” Aggie speaks happily, seeming quite overjoyed.