Welcome Back

The smell of the rainy New York air made her gag as she ran towards the tall building that she used to call 'home'. The same gate that she used to run through and the same door that had the carving of an umbrella.

The Umbrella Academy.

Back when they were much younger and when they were the top of the world. The superfamily, as they called it. But behind those closed oak doors, it was beyond super.

As a group of superpowered children, Reginald Hargreeves kept the children in seclusion from everyone else and made them train for combat while doing tests on them. True happiness lacked from inside those walls so the children took it upon themselves to create a little bit of happiness before they lose their sanity. With the help of their mom, Grace, in a way they slowly became a family. 

However, that happiness didn't last long.

The door creaked and she felt nostalgic at the sight of the same staircase her and her siblings always ran down every morning to eat breakfast that Mom made them. Doubts began to fill her head and she started to turn around when a familiar voice made her turn around.

"Miss Cassiopeia, welcome back," Pogo said. 

A chuckle left her lips and she walked forward to give the monkey-butler a hug. It's been so long since she's seen him. She was still in her teens the last time she was able to hug him and talk to him.

"Hello, Pogo. How have you been?" She smiled at him to which he smiled back.

"Gained some of my sanity back without you children running about." He teased. As she opened her mouth to speak, a voice from above made her look up.

"Is that who I think it is?" 

It was him.

"Diego," she nodded in greeting. He raised a hand as hello and started to head to the staircase when she walked into the living room. There, Mom was staring longingly at a painting. Cassie was joined by Diego as they sat on the ugly couch they used to make fun of with its ugly floral pattern.

"Hey Mom," Cassie whispered. Grace turned around and smiled at her the same forced smile she saw her entire childhood.

"Cassie, you're back." Grace opened her arms for a hug but twitched. Cassie looked at her in wonder and was about to ask if she was alright until the door opened again.

"Vanya?" Allison's voice filled the entryway.

Cassie ran to the entrance and she flung herself to her sister and Vanya smiled softly, missing the hugs the girl used to give.

"Hey," Vanya's soft voice filled her ears and Cassie stepped back to let Allison hug her. 

"I'm so glad you're here. Both of you." Allison placed a hand on both girls' arms.

They were sharing a moment until the voice of Number 2 broke it.

"What is she doing here? You don't belong here. Not after what you did." He purposefully bumped into Vanya, who rubbed her shoulder and flickered her eyes to the door. Cassie caught it and turned around to glare at Diego.

"Seriously? Today? At Dad's funeral?" Allison's annoyed voice followed up to the boy who was walking up the staircase.

"She's here to pay her respects, Diego. At least she still has some respect for some people. Unlike you." She hissed and he glared back. "Go back to your room, Diego. If you're going to be an asshole the entire time we'll be here, bite your tongue before you say something you'll regret. Or I'll do it for you."