Home

17 Years Ago...

Midnight struck and everyone but 2 people were asleep. It was one of those rare nights that Hargreeves didn't hook the children up with the wires to monitor their sleep. A pair of twins were huddled under the girl's blanket, quietly giggling and whispering amongst themselves. 

"Ben, I swear. You're more of a fangirl than me," she teased. He rolled his eyes.

"Excuse me. FANBOY, thank you very much."

The flashlight that he brought from his room provided them with light to read the book that she grabbed from the shelf.

Greek Mythology for Dummies.

"Hey, we're twins. We can be Artemis and Apollo, right?" Cassie looked over to her twin.

"I mean, we have powers and are basically gods compared to other humans. So, technically, yes. Yes, we are the modern versions of Artemis and Apollo." The two shared a smile and continued reading from the pages.

"We can live forever and eat all the teddy bear jellies we can without dying. Griddy's doughnuts will make us fat and we won't even regret it." The talk of the future gave the twins a surge of hope that they would leave this hellhole one day.

"But, what if, we can't leave? Or worse, we die?" Ben's unsure question made her roll her eyes.

"What makes you think that you will die, Benny? If anything, I would die before you because I would be too busy trying to save your ass." She giggled and he couldn't help but smile at the pretty sound. This was the time that he felt that he was really home. Just him, his sister, and a book, under the blanket.

"Actually, Diego would die first, then you, then me." Ben's teasing made her turn red and illuminated the dark spot on her cheeks from the yellow-ish glow from the flashlight.

"Shut up. But either way, I will not let you die under my watch, Benjamin, you understand? I will protect you until I die. Promise." She held out her finger to which he grasped with his own.

"Promise." 

Gunshots rang from the hallway and she met Allison and Luther who saw her panicked state.

"Guns-Diego-Help-Creepy-Hemorrhoids!" The two siblings shared a look of confusion before making her explain more detail.

"There's people wearing creepy kids masks that are trying to kill us! Diego is trying to hold them off but they have rifles and guns and bullets and he's going to die!" She squeaked.

"Where is he?" Luther asked.

"That hallway! But I think they've moved. Spread out and look for them!" The 3 Hargreeves took off to different directions, looking for the people and Diego.

Cassie relied on her hearing and she heard gunshots going towards the living room. As she skidded to a stop in front of the parlor, she saw Diego running. The two of them ran inside and dove behind the couch.

"Let me go! I can take them out!" She whacked him, trying to get rid of the grip from her arm.

"No! You could get hurt!" He protested to which she rolled her eyes at.

"Watch me." But as she stood up, gunshots hit the couch and feathers flew everywhere. Diego pulled her down and placed an arm around her shoulders, gripping her close.

Blue magic streamed out of her fingers and she grabbed a vase, flinging it behind her, hoping to hit them. But it didn't do anything as they continued to fire at them. The two were just hoping that someone would go behind the attackers and fling them. And that's what exactly happened.