Chapter Fourteen

Saying me avoiding Sam was an understatement. I had the tendency to avoid things when I didn't want to talk about it, and after seeing Sam and Layla have it out a few nights ago, and thinking about what Layla said, seeing him was definitely not an option now. The thing that was bothering me most though, was what Layla said about her and Sam, agreeing to work things out three months ago. Yes, that would have been before I was here, but did me coming here change that? What if this was their only shot at becoming a family again? What if I prevented that?

The whistling kettle made me jump as I was lost in thought. I poured my cup and sighed, wishing that I brought my coffee with me. I could just go to the supermarket and buy but that would mean I have to leave the house. Green tea was quite fine for now, but it really didn't do the job. I sat on the couch clicking through the channels, which mom had way too much of. I really should go shower but I didn't feel like getting up right now. Just then, there was a knock on the door. I was so comfortable to actually get up right now but the person knocked again and I had to get up.

"I'm coming," I yelled. I peeped through the hole and it was Sam. So much for avoiding him. I only just noticed that the place was a little messy so I yelled, "I'm coming, just gimme a minute," and I started my fixing the quilt on the couch, the pillows, dumping my things in the sink. There was no way I could've neaten up enough so I just rested my cup on the kitchen counter and made my way to the door and opened it.

"You know, I knew that you were at the door right?" He asked rhetorically. Of course he did, I answered when I was close to it.

"Oh well I was trying to tidy up," I told him. And instead of his eyes going all around the room, it went from my face straight to my bedroom slippers, which looked like a bunny. I wasn't a bunny kind of girl but the slippers were very comfortable and it was on sale.

"Didn't know you were into those kind of stuff," he said looking at the slippers.

"Yea I know they're kid slippers but they were on sale and really comfortable so,"

"Cute," then his eyes trailed up the rest of my body. It was quick but I noticed. I was wearing my thin robe again. The one Nessa said you could have seen everything through, but it's not my fault he stopped by unannounced.

"What are you doing here?"

"You've been avoiding me," he said, and I was going to say no but he interrupted, "don't even think about explaining why you haven't."

"Why do you always order me around?" I asked him.

"I don't and don't change the topic. Why have you been avoiding me?"

"I feel like you already know the answer to that question," I said to him.

"What did Layla say to you?"

"Nothing," I told him, but it was something.

"Then why have you been avoiding me?" He asked. He looked at me and folded his arms and looked that he wanted to let me know that he wasn't going anywhere. So I decided that I should ask him.

"Did you tell Layla that you all would give it one more try at your family the last time she was here?" I asked him.

"Did she say that?"

"Yes she made it seem that way. And she mentioned it during your fight," I told him.

"She left less than a week after she said that you know," he said but that's not what I asked.

"So did you say it?" I asked him softly.

"I don't think it was that way Emily."he said.

"That doesn't mean you didn't say it," I told him.