Chap. 7

*SONYA*

"Ugh.." I could've swore I groaned out of pain, yet my voice seemed inaudible.

My eye lids were heavier more now than ever, and a pounding headache pursued.

"Are you waking up, Sonya?" A deep voice vocalized, sounding muffled and almost unclear.

I open my eyes slowly, instinctively squinting at the bright florescent lights.

"Oh, thank goodness." Damion's sigh was mixed with worry and relief while looking down at me.

All of a sudden, the expression on his face was unreadable as he blocked the light overhead.

"Am I in the hospital? How'd I get here?" A new question pops into my head, one after another. My last memory, finding out I'm pregnant.

"Let's get you checked out, so we can go," Damion spoke shortly, taking my hand, and helping me sit up. I had been laying on a doctor's table/bed.

My neck was shooting with pain, and my body felt noodily and weakened. I don't think I've ever lost consciousness, while being conscious like this.

************

I take a short nap in the car's passenger seat while Damion drives me home.

"Hey, Sonya, we're here." he notifies me, gentley shaking my shoulder.

I step out of the car, and he's right behind me, "So how long did it take for me to wake up?" I ask.

All of a sudden, the real problem dawned on me.

Damion, with my keys in hand, unlocks and opens the front door for me, "First, do you mind if I come in? Also, maybe 30 minutes" he estimates.

"Oh..Yeah of course." my voice trails off as I head farther into my house, then inside of my room.

The pregnancy test, with same results as before, lay there on my carpet, staring at me.

Why couldn't it be a big nightmare?

Warm tears fill in my eyes, clouding my vision. Half a blink from falling down my cheeks.

The warmth from Damion's chest grazed my back as he rested his hands lightly on my shoulder, "Sonya, I know you're pregnant, I don't want you to feel uncomfortable about it. I'm supposed to be your bestfriend."

My legs were losing strength from him being so close. But, even with him being this close, my heart tumbled down to my ass with embarrassment.

He knows.

As if reading my mind, his hands grip onto my shoulders, just enough to turn me around.

"It's okay." He whispers softly, before smiling at me.

All I felt from his beautiful smile was sadness.

A warm teardrop finally falls down my left cheek, "Do you see me any differently?" I had to ask, why?

"To tell you the truth, yes. You're a mom now, and I don't even have a girlfriend. How come you never told me about the guy?" Damion's words started fading in and out.

He sees me differently now. "A guy?" my eyebrows furrowed with confusion.

"How else could you get pregnant," he smiled with a breathy laugh.

It would be almost suffocating to sit here and try to tell him the baby is his.

"Um, I didn't think he would impregnante me, so." I go along with whatever he was thinking, but brush it off.

"What would you do, though? If you got a girl pregnant, I mean." I flip the subject on him, looking into his eyes for an answer.

"Welllll," he rubbed his chin while in thought, "Tss. That bitch gotta get an abortion."

He gave me the most unexpected answer, that stung the pit of my stomach.

"Nah, I'm joking. I would definitely take care of the baby. But I would enjoy it more-so if she's important to me."

I couldn't hold back the chuckle that espcaped my lips. How could he make me laugh right now? My cheeks were still wet from crying, but here I am, laughing.

*DAMION*

I lighten the mood, even if my mind was heavy right now with questions I want ask her. I need to ask her.

Who's the babie's father?

"Are you hungry?" I ask, tapping my pockets for my wallet. If I was going to ask her that, eventually, I'll need her to lower the guard she's put in front of me.

"I'll buy" I shoot her a grin.

I'm trying my best to make her feel okay, not so uncomfortable. The way she is now, acting as if I am a stranger.

Like all the nights we spent together just playing like little kids and doing whatever just a month ago, had been forgotten. Now she can barely jump at the opportunity to getting food.

"I'm hungry, but can we just order something, I don't feel good being in public right now." She admits, walking past me and into the living room.

I follow behind her, sitting on the sofa, "What do you wanna order?" Even though I asked, I'm ninety percent sure she's going to say pizza.

"Classic pizza, sausage with garlic crust." she says outloud from her fridge.

I figured.

A bottle of water plops onto the sofa, beside my thigh. I look up to see her already drinking a bottle, "Thanks, Yaya"

She starts to choke on water for a second,"Yaya?" she repeats.

"I don't think you've called me that since a few months after I met you." she smiles, soon letting out a laugh.

"Remember when that girl on the bus sat in our seat, then told us our name wasn't on it. And the next day, you wrote 'YAYA AND DAMY' huge in sharpie on the seat."

She laughed some more, "You got us both suspended."

I chuckle, remembering those moments in the school's front office.

When I first developed a fat crush on her, that hasn't disappeared since.

"Come sit, Sonya." I tap the cushion next to me.

After throwing her bottle away, she returned and plopped down on the sofa, next to me.

"I think it'll be twenty minutes before the pizza arrives," I note, before getting into it.

"At least its not longer," she commented, laying down her head on my lap.

I bite on my bottom lip, conflicted.

Should I disturb this peace...

"Who's the babie's father?" I blurt, frozen still.

My heartbeat slowed to a stop.