one

Two weeks later

Two weeks later...

Rosalina

I believe that moving, unless there is some predisposition, is one of the most uncertain decisions that can be made. You will uproot your life and start over somewhere else. It is the definition of stepping outside your comfort zone.

However, like most decisions in life, there are some positive aspects. Take being able to see my sister more frequently as an example. After moving from Abbotsford to Toronto, we now have our weekly margarita nights. Once a week, the countertops are sticky with lime juice and the island is covered in wedding magazines.

After three years of reconnecting and completing post-secondary school, Emlyn and Hainsey are tying the knot. At the end of July, we'll be heading back to Whistler for the wedding. Being the Maid of Honour is, well, an honour. Though I've never been serious in the romance department, I'm happy for my sister and her lifelong best friend. They've been to hell and back, and now they deserve nothing but eternal happiness.

Besides seeing my sister, I also have a top-notch job at one of the best rehab centres in Eastern Canada. Becoming a physiotherapist was the best career option I could've picked. Every day, I come into the facility and help change the lives of patients.

Two months in Toronto feels like two years. I feel like I never moved.

Smiling to myself, I tilt my face to the sunny sky and breathe in the air. It's slightly smoggy today, but the sky is clear and the April air carries a floral note. Gulls, motorized vehicles, and the buzz of chatter fills the air. On the horizon, through the erect buildings, I can see slivers of Lake Ontario. Early morning fog lingers above the water, but it will dissipate soon and expose the deep blue of the lake. When I'm sitting in my office, drinking my coffee and prepping for my line-up of patients, that's the view I'll be staring at.

It's during times like these where I have a difficult time believing I'm living in Toronto. But when the disbelief fades and reality sets it, I realize deserve to be here. Ever since my parents divorced, my life has been a mess of intertwining trails. Some were smooth to navigate. Others were rocky with an extreme elevation gain. There were plenty of trials and errors, and I'm proud to have come this far.

Pushing through the swinging doors, I enter the lobby and inhale the warming scent of spruce and citrus, tinted with a slight antiseptic tone. The lobby is spacious and decorated with tones of white and grey. Splashes of colour decorate the walls and corners of the rooms, ranging from donated paintings to tropical plants.

The drink tray wobbles in my hands as I walk across the shiny tile, my heels clicking.

Adrian, my co-worker and best friend, is behind the sleek front desk. He's leaning over the shoulder of our secretary, Jordan. I'm not sure what they're discussing and nor do I hear slivers of their conversation.

As soon as they hear my heels and see the coffees in my hand, they're rushing over to me. They meet me halfway, next to the hibiscus planters, by the front desk.