twenty-six

Rosalina

Rosalina

Saturday arrives sooner than expected. All day, I'm stuck puttering around the house, trying to distract myself from tonight. Luke was right to call me out on playing my sympathy card. There's a fraction of me that feels sorry for him. I'm positive his family could distract him, but I have a feeling Kate will be breathing down his neck. Looking at this situation, I have more control over what'll be discussed. Emlyn won't say a peep about Mason and Olivia.

Tonight is about lifting Luke's spirits. With an hour to go before I have to pick him up, I pit myself together. After a nice hot shower, I pull on a pair of black skinny jeans and a black halter top that stresses my shoulders. To my hair, I apply a beach wave mousse and decide to let it dry. After a layer of concealer, a brush of mascara, and some red lipstick, I gather my worn black leather jacket and purse.

The drive to Luke's place takes twenty-five minutes. I arrive at four-thirty. For a moment, I contemplate if I should walk to the door or just text him. Every cell in my body is on edge. On Monday, there's only a week left of his program. A week until our deal can end and we can see each other outside of work. Yet here we are, breaking the rules.

I'm already going to hell, so I might as well break some more rules. Sighing, I shake my head and shift into park, exiting the car and heading to the front door.

He answers the door before the doorbell rings, ushering me inside. As soon as the door closes, Luke wraps me in a comforting hug. I revel in the strong spice of his cologne.

Luke dips his head down, dragging his nose along my neck. "You smell amazing. What perfume is that?"

I smile because I love how straight-forward Luke is. "Bold Gold by Commodity."

He straightens his posture and grins down at me. "I love it."

"Your cologne's not half-bad, too."

He grins and sits on the bench next to the front door. While waiting for him to pull on his shoes, I admire the outfit he's chosen for today. Dark jean shorts with a light-grey Henley shirt. After his shoes (matching grey runners) are on, he grabs a bomber jacket from the hook. It's black.

The longer I stare, the more I believe Luke could pull off anything.

When Luke's done, he looks up at me, grinning. It's a devilish grin, but he mentions nothing about me staring. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah," I reply.

Pushing to his feet, Luke takes my hand and escorts me out of the house, locking the door behind us. His firm grip flusters me. Something so mundane shouldn't feel so right. I take deep breaths, breathing in the early summer air. It smells sweet, with a bitter undertone coming from the decaying lilac bushes lining the driveway.

"I'm excited," Luke says as he opens the driver's door for me. He stands on one side, I stand on the other. I rest both hands atop it and lean forward, smiling. "After everything you've told me about Hainsey and Emyln, I think we'll get along just fine."