one

I walked into the doors of the Doc's office to be greeted by a sight of someone who I honestly never thought I'd meet.

Herb Brooks.

Like THE Herb Brooks. Like the Herb Brooks who beat my good friend Rizzo in the championship in '76.

I stood by the door, too shocked to move a single muscle. It seemed as if I stood there for hours, waiting for them to notice me- but it couldn't have been more than a few seconds.

Doc looked at the door, and smiled when he saw me. "Mr. Brooks, allow me to introduce you to my apprentice, Riley Walsh. Riley, I'm sure some of the boys have told you about Coach Brooks." I nodded my head, not trusting myself to speak.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Walsh. I'm sure we'll get to know each other very well over the next few months." I looked towards Doc, the question evident in my eyes.

"Coach Brooks has just offered us spots as Team USA's trainers. I was just about to tell him that we accepted. That is, if you are able to. I understand things have been hard ever since-" I cut him off before he could say anything else. "No! I'd love to help out. Get some practice in before I'm off on my own." Doc smiled at me.

"Perfect. I'll just need you two to sign here." He points at a contract that laid on top of Doc's desk. I take out the pen I always keep tucked behind my ear and sign my name in neat cursive letters under Doc's signature.

"I'll send these into the organization. You have 3 days to pack up and get down to Colorado Springs for tryouts. Sorry for the late notice, but I only got offered the job about a week and a half ago. I'll see you there." He smiled at us before walking out.

I turned towards Doc and squealed. "This is perfect! I mean, I don't really know a lot about hockey, but from what I can tell, it's a lot like soccer just more brutal and with sticks instead of legs. This could be the little extra I need so I can get the FIFA World Cup job next summer. Thank you so much Doc!"

The Doc chuckled softly at me as I went on babbling about pointless stuff. "It's just so exciting!" I finally exclaimed with a deep breathe.

"Yes, yes it is so exciting. You might have found something even better than soccer! I am telling you- this team is going to be something special this year." I raised my eyebrows at him. "You think so?" He smiled slightly. "I know so."

I rolled my eyes at his cheesy answer. "Alright Doc, I gotta get going. I'll see you in 3 days?" He nods his head. "I'll send you your plane ticket. I'll actually need you down the night before to prep the equipment- I won't be able to make it till the morning of the tryouts."

I nodded my head. So tomorrow night. Great.

"That's alright, Doc. I should probably be heading out. Hey, actually before I go- It's been almost 4 year-" he stops me with a glare. "You know what the doctor said, Riley. I don't want to ruin your dreams, but do I need to remind you what happened to you? Your LCL got torn in two while your ACL and MCL both sustained substantial damage. It's impossible for you to ever be on the pitch again. Not like you were."

I looked up, looking Doc straight in the eye.

"Nothing is impossible, Doc. One day, I'll be out there. One day, I'll make that winning goal. One day- my team will be the first women's team to ever win a World Cup title. You just wait and see, Doc. You wait and see."