seven

The week went by faster than I wanted it to. Before I knew it, Charlie and Alex were helping me pack up for Minnesota.

I was excited- everyday it seems like I missed Jack more and more. Don't get me wrong- I loved being home and spending time with my family. But every night before I went to bed I heard his laugh in my head or saw his grinning face.

Charlie won't stop giving me crap about it either. Naturally, I didn't tell mum because I didn't want her marrying me off within the week I was home (which she would have done if I had told her about him) and I wasn't even sure he cared about me in the same way. Sure I knew we were friends- but I was afraid that my feelings were beginning to grow into something stronger than just simple friendship.

Me and Jack had both picked the same flight and planned to meet at the airport before our flight so we could sit together. I had just zipped my suitcase closed when I heard the bell at the front of the shop tinkle.

It was just Charlie, Alex and my mum working today, as Saturday's are usually the days we give the employees off since most of the them are in college. Alex left to go help the customer (mum was picking up the girls from daycare since Emily had to stay at work late) and Charlie plopped down on my bed.

"So, Ri. There's really nothing going on between you and that O'Callahan guy?" I rolled my eyes at my brother before swiftly kicking him the shin. "No, dummy! We're just good friends." He hummed in response, looking at me suspiciously. "Whatever helps you sleep at night sis." I groaned in annoyance.

"Say, Charlie you're the older one. Why don't you have a girlfriend yet?" Charlie sat up and glared at me. "You know exactly why." I couldn't help the evil grin from slipping onto my face. "Because you're in love with Stella still?"

Stella was a girl that we had grown up with. Her family used to own a café a few blocks down, but they decided to sell it and move deeper into the city. We still kept up- their family came and visited whenever they were in the area, and we went to dinner over at their house every once in a while.

Anyways, Charlie has been madly in love with her since he was about 7 and I was 4. He tried to impress her when we were out in the street one day by telling her he could fly and then proceeding to jump off a trash can and land squarely on his face. We had to take him the hospital to get stitches. Everyone knew he was in love with her. Now, almost 20 years later, and he's still pinning after her. But he was still adamant that no one but me, Alex and mom know. Only- everyone knows.

"Just ask her out. Last I heard, she broke up with that guy. What was his name? Steven?" Charlie tolled his eyes. "Yeah, that guy was a real tool. He got mad whenever I would bring her something from the shop! He got mad when I brought her a bloody biscuit for crying out loud!" I raised my eyebrow. "Charles Benjamin I am so telling mom that you cussed." He sat up, and narrowed his eyes at me. "You wouldn't." I grinned, remembering I had my big clunky brace on that would allow me to run. "I would."

And then I bolted out of the room and ran downstairs. I pushed through the door that lead into the bakery and stopped dead in my tracks. There, right in front of me, taking to my brother, was none ofter than Jack O'Callahan.

He turned to the doors and smiled when he saw me. "Hey! Thought I'd just come pick you up. It's right on my way." I looked at him suspiciously. He lived on the other wide of the city. On my way my ass.

Alex was slyly smiling at me from behind Jack and I made a mental note to kick his ass later. But, I turned back to those brown eyes that I had missed so much, and I couldn't help but smile.

I walked over to Jack before wrapping him in a hug. "Hey OC. I missed ya." I felt his arms tighten around my waist and I felt my cheeks burn. A throat cleared behind us and I turned around to see Charlie standing there, smiling cheekily at us.